Slow Cooker Easy Beef Stew

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by piglet91, Dec 29, 2005.

1. piglet91

piglet91

hello i want to know dose the meat have too been cooked before put in my slow cooker

Thank you
    Tammy

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It depends. You can cook it fully in your slow cooker or you can just heat up a dish as well.

I used my slow cooker last night to keep some barbecued pulled pork warm for serving at a pot luck.

Most of the time, you'll cook your meat in the slow cooker, but that means a cooking time fo 4 hours on high, or 6-8 on low.

Phil

3. piglet91

piglet91

phil

thats mean if i'm i can put it in with rest of the stuffed it will be cooked for at 6 houres on low it ok to put the meat in raw

Thanks Tammy

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    That's what I thought you meant.

You will get more flavor if you brown the meat before you add it to the slow cooker (fry it for just a little while in a little fat over very high heat, until the surface gets brown), but then you'll have more cleanup.

Will that give you a better stew? Maybe, maybe not. You can put everything in at once and end up with a lovely, fully cooked stew. All that long time cooking brings out plenty of flavor. And it's quite safe.

5. piglet91

piglet91

i want to know dose jusic have be cover the veg and potatoes

Thank you Tammy
    [

QUOTE=Suzanne]That's what I thought you meant.

You will get more flavor if you brown the meat before you add it to the slow cooker (fry it for just a little while in a little fat over very high heat, until the surface gets brown), but then you'll have more cleanup.

Will that give you a better stew? Maybe, maybe not. You can put everything in at once and end up with a lovely, fully cooked stew. All that long time cooking brings out plenty of flavor. And it's quite safe.[/QUOTE]

6. ma facon

ma facon

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You'll find that you don't have to add too much liquid when using a slow cooker, Alot of liquid comes out of the meat/veg that you start out with and there is little to no evaporation during cooking.

For instance, If you put a whole chicken in a slow cooker and cook it for 4-6 hours you will wind up with about a cup or so of liquid. I live chicken this way, Season the bird liberally with your favorite flavors, Lightly flour it and brown it on all sides in some hot oil/butter and let it cook. Falls apart and you gotta love the jus.