Slightly sour fruit tart?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by toffee, Jan 30, 2017.

1. toffee

toffee

Exp:
    Other
      I've been trying to recreate a fruit tart I had a little while ago when I was off on vacation. It was a fruit tart with a chocolate shell, assorted fruit on top, strawberries, blue berries some had raspberries. It was slightly sour to the taste with equal amount of sweetness. So far I've made them with different recipes of pastry creams and hoping the berries themselves gave the sourness but haven't really got what I was looking for. No real balance its mostly sweet and creamy. Im looking for a good bite of tartness with it. Anyone have any ideas as to what recipe I am looking for? If it helps where i got it was down in Disney world at one of the little food courts they have. They were little personal tarts. Also how long can you hold a tart for or if you were gonna sell them? I see bakeries and some restaurants have them but being something that seems delicate i cant see them being make so far in advance.

2. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    One way to get help recreating a dish is to imagine and describe each component.

When you say chocolate shell do you mean a chocolate cookie shell or a pure chocolate that has been tempered to snap shell?

Maybe the fruit had a short acidic bath?

Say...lemon and water (or orange juice ) ? 

The pastry cream...maybe a bit of lemon juice or extract or zest (or a combo?).

Just FYI...the next time you take a bite of something that wows you stop right then and taste the components separately.

Write down some notes in the small tablet you always carry in your pocket.

Just makes things a bit easier down the road.

mimi

3. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    As for holding such a treat...kept cold in the case they will last one day...maybe.

Fruit and pastry cream tarts have a tendency to get runny/soggy as the day goes by so in my world I would keep a full on mise and assemble then refill the case as the day goes by and the first par is depleted.

Alternate proceedure is just to assemble as the orders come in.

Again it just depends on how fast they sell.

Shell...cream...fruit...garnish.

If the day ends and you are caught with a few leftover (assembled) tarts?

Family meal or trash depending on  what the house SOP is .

mimi

4. toffee

toffee

Exp:
    Other
    Thank you Mimi! I will definitely try them. The shell was a pure chocolate that has been tempered to snap shell. Didnt think water and lemon juice could give fruit that acidic tartness alone. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif  Very informative thank you again.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  5. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    It may not.

Depends on the pH of the lemon juice.

Just something I tossed out there as an option....if the tart was small (a couple of bites) that elusive tanginess could have come from something as simple as a sweet/tart glaze.

Just like every other business the mouse has to keep a decent food cost and you can get a good bang for the buck by switching up glazes. Jam that has been warmed then thinned with booze or juice, maybe add some spice,  is a great way to switch things up.

mimi

Dark chocolate tart shell?

m.

6. toffee

toffee

Exp:
    Other
    Alright, stuff ill keep in mind. It was a size that could fit in your hand. Little smaller then the palm. Just a couple bites. hmmm i didnt consider thinning out jam and using that as a glaze. Definitely gonna have to open my mind up alot more. The shell was pure chocolate, tempered chocolate. Im fuzzy on the taste of the shell if it was dark or not. By the color itself id definitely say dark. I shoulda taken a picture of it. 

7. toffee

toffee

Exp:
    Other
    Could the filling in the tart be a lemon curd instead of regular pastry cream? Would that possibly be the tartness i had?

8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Could the tangyness have been apricot glaze, commonly used as a glaze in my unprofessional opinion???

9. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Of course.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif.

mimi

10. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Yes it could.

In fact there is a very nice curd recipe using the Meyer variety lemon here on CT!

mimi

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  11. toffee

toffee

Exp:
    Other
    Alright thats great ^_^ Thank you Mimi, and also kokopuffs for the help. Ill be making a few tarts now to try all the new knowledge.