Slightly bitter after taste ???

Joined Jul 15, 2006
My hush puppies have a slightly bitter after taste. Any idea why ?
recipe: 1 cup corn meal
1/4 cup AP flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp blk pepper
-------------
1 whole egg
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
Heat canola oil to 360 F
combine dry and wet ingredients until just barely mixed
When oil is up to temp, spoon batter (1 TBLSP) into oil and deep fry for 2 1/2 minutes
Remove and drain well.
I think there is room for improvement and I don't care for the SLIGHT bitter after taste.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Might want to nix the black pepper - maybe add a little red pepper instead and see if that works. All your other ingredients appear to be in line with tradition. You might try adding some sugar like some recipes do. At least to try. Make a batch with just your base - sans seasoning. Divide that into several bowls then season each one differently and see how they turn out.

Joined Jul 15, 2006
I tried every possible variation of ingredients; without pepper, without onions, all new "fresh" ingredients, even changed the canola oil. Adding a bit of sugar did lessen the bitter after taste. Also, I changed the type of onion to a white onion. Still has a slight bitter after taste. I think it may be the brand of baking powder and when I go across the border, I'll buy an American baking powder.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Ordinarily baking powder contains acid to neutralize the bitter alkali base taste of the baking soda but maybe your brand is a bit heavy on the baking soda. Try adding a bit of acid.

Joined Jul 15, 2006
Ok, will do. I may try buttermilk and/or adding a tad of lemon juice to the milk. That, and a brand name baking powder (Rumford or Calumet)which are not readily available in Mexico.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom