Slicing Tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kalach, Jan 18, 2010.

1. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi all,

If some of the employees are picking a regular knife up, attempting to cut the tomato with it and then moving to a serrated knife to get the job done tells me something. It tells me you don't have enough sharp knives available. It doesn't necessarily tell me people prefer cutting tomatoes with serrated edges.

Personally I don't care for the texture a serrated knife leaves behind. I even prefer to use a regular blade on my steak. A serrated steak knife just ruins the texture of the meat.

dan

2. luc_h

luc_h

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ever noticed how peddlers cut tomatoes in TV infomercials?

They drag the knife tip on the board keeping the blade at (almost) a 45 degree angle. When the edge touches the tomato, the knife edge's angle combined with the pulling movement towards the fruit actually squeezes the fruit and presses through the skin then the edge completes the slice. No downward motion. This technique is similar to a sideways guillotine (a maintained sharp angle) which has a mechanical cutting advantage. With practice, even a soft tomato can be sliced this way using only a somewhat sharp knife. Try it!

Only when the knife is perfectly sharp can you slice a tomato in a straight downward motion. The only other way is using a serrated knife.

Luc H.

3. chefray

chefray

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's why they make the perfect edge test.

4. coulis-o

coulis-o

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Victorinox Tomato knife with rosewood handle, quite obvious really

5. fishnpickles

fishnpickles

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Honestly, most commercial kitchens use a knife sharpening service for their house knives. They tend to dull only after a couple of days. Therefore, a serated knife will slice through a tomato without bruising (or sometimes even smashing) it so yes, the common answere would be 'blunt' knives

6. johnliu

johnliu

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    How many slicing cuts through tomatoes can you make, before you notice your knife getting less sharp?

7. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Four or five dozen maybe. Why?

BDL

8. johnliu

johnliu

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Just curious. I notice a small change after four or five tomatoes. I'm not sure how many cuts that is - maybe 6 to 10 per fruit if making round slices such as you'd put on a sandwich. I think I need to do better on the edges.