size of stockpot

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by 84rhonda, Sep 13, 2002.

1. 84rhonda

84rhonda

Hi all, long time no post. Anyhow, I need to invest in a stockpot. I want to revisit making stocks, brown veal stock, chicken, etc...The last time I attempted this, my fav kitchen store was nice enuff to lend me their 34 quart stock pot. Well, I was considering buying it, but I realize that it may be too big for my purpose. What size do you all recommend for the cooking enthusiast?

I already own several ALL CLAD pieces and such, but do I really need to spend all that moolah on an ALL- CLAD Stock pot?? Any alternate stockpot brands?

I really got my eye and money on the ALL CLAD roaster, so I can't see myself dipping into my wallet for their stockpot. :( Thx.

2. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Seems like either an 8 or 12 qt stockpot works fine for me.

3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Hi, guy. If you're serious about making stock, bigger is better. I've got a 14-quart aluminum, and wish I had a bigger stainless steel one. And much as I LOVE my All-Clad, I can't imagine buying anything bigger than what I already have from them (12Q). Not for just stock, anyway.

An acquaintance just turned me on to a site that has stainless steel stockpots for GREAT prices: A.Best
    I will probably be ordering a 20- or 24-Q from them. It's not as huge as you might fear. And remember, you can always put less in a big pot, but you can't put more in a smaller one.

4. kimmie

kimmie

Long time no speak! Shop Canadian, you have a 50 cent dollar.

Get in touch with Ares

I'm sure you will find what you're looking for, at a reasonable price.

5. 84rhonda

84rhonda

Thanks again guys, much appreciated. Hey kimmie, thanks for the links to the store in montreal, must go check it out when I'm in town in Oct. Is that the best store in Mtl??

6. robert peyton

robert peyton

I've gotten good use out of my Piazza stock pots. I've got two, because my wife initially bought me the 18 quart size. Later I got the 12 (11.4 I think) for more regular use.

Here's a link to Williams Sonoma with a photo: http://ww1.williams-sonoma.com/cat/p...shop&gids=c120

7. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You need a big stock pot. One which is higher than is wide. It lets you get away with less evaporation, but then you can always partially lid it when you leave it overnight. Second is you might want to try making some consomme one of these days, and there's nothing like making consomme and having the raft get in the way of all that good clear stuff.

Kuan

8. isa

isa

It depends what you are looking for. Arès has good prices on some items but not on everything. You really have to shop around.

Other place to visit are:

France décor (they close at 12 on Saturdays)

La maison d'Émilie (fancy French dishware store, mostly very expensive)

Monas (close during the weekend)

La soupière (small store with good prices)

I am sure I am forgetting some, Kimmie will finish the list.

How long will you be in town for?

9. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've found 20 quart works well for me because I use some of the stock immediately and generally freeze the rest. I wouldn't get less than 20 quarts.

10. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You know, a big stockpot is to compensate for the size of a man's... :)

Kuan

11. kimmie

kimmie

For stockpots however, I would stick with Ares. Unless you are here on a weekday, you could then visit Monas. I think it's located on Park Avenue.

Near Jean-Talon Market, be sure not to miss Quincaillerie Dante, a jewel among hardware establishments, it even holds a weekly demonstration on how to make your own pasta! 6851 St Dominique, Montreal, QC H2S3B3
    Phone: (514) 271-2057

Isa, how can you forget Arthur Quentin on St-Denis St. for French "objets de table" such as Laguiole knives.

Let us know when you are coming. ;)

12. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Yes, Kuan?? Do tell.:D :eek:

13. kimmie

kimmie

...and I thought cars had the same effect ;)

14. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    What me? My stockpot? Only 1 pint. :D

Kuan

15. isa

isa

I had an hypnose treatment to erase that store from my memory... Remember what happened the last time we were there? :D

16. 84rhonda

84rhonda

Thanks to all that inputed, wow, can't believe how this thread got warped by the end, LOL, you guys are so silly.

As for my stay in Montreal, well, I plan to make Montreal my permanent resident next year :), Yes, it's time for me to move back to montreal after living in a small town for 5 yrs. :bounce: I'm kind of wasting 2 extra languages living here :(

So it's down to 18 quart vs 27 quart now, the price diff seems so marginal considering the huge 9 quart diff. I think i'll go for the 27 quart in the end. BIGGER is BETTER no? :D

17. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Oh please, this is nothing compared to some of the other boards I'm on. :eek: :D :rolleyes:
    As long as you are "man enough" to lift it!:D Remember, 27 quarts = 54 pints = 54 POUNDS if filled with water; more if you've got bones and stuff.

18. kimmie

kimmie

LOL LOL LOL ;)