Simple bachelor looking to acquire bakeware. What 2-3 items do I need?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Tonnystark, Sep 11, 2019 at 12:38 PM.

1. Tonnystark

Tonnystark

Exp:
    baking
    I currently have a large old Pyrex baking dish. Due to concerns about it cracking in the future I am considering getting rid of it and buying something more durable.

I would like to only have 1-3 pieces of bakeware.

I cook very simple meals (roasted potatoes, salmon, chicken, vegetables, maybe the odd steak).

So far I am looking at purchasing a metal cooking sheet that is medium size and deep and possibly a ceramic baking dish that is large. Is ceramic more durable than Pyrex? Maybe I should stick to all metal.

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

2. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    "I cook very simple meals (roasted potatoes, salmon, chicken, vegetables, maybe the odd steak)."

Cast iron skillet for all of those. It's like $15 for a lodge skillet.

3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Pyrex is not likely to crack. Corning Ware is a good alternative, though.

For what your currently cooking, an aluminum quarter sheet pan will do that very economical and be resistant to any acid interactions. Unless braising you generally don’t need deep pans.

Parchment paper or Silpat to fit sheet pan... a “cooling rack” that fits inside the sheet pan is a good investment too.

4. rittenremedy

rittenremedy

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I live in a tiny apartment after moving a ton, so I don't have a ton of bakeware. I'm also gluten free, so if I want baked stuff, I have to make it myself. :eek:

If I were to go down to only 3 pieces, it would be a 18x13 inch sheet pan (plus a cooling rack), a 13x9 inch deep casserole dish, and a loaf pan.

I've tried a few brands of sheet pans, and finally found some that don't warp or pop when baking. I got them from a restaurant supply store. They're aluminum Volrath, and there are cooling racks that fit so when roasting the bottom doesn't sit in the drippings.

I donated my pyrex because it kept bubbling over, and I bought a ceramic deep casserole dish I love. I don't know if ceramic is as susceptible to thermal shock as pyrex, but I treat it like it is just in case. No frozen food, no sudden high heat, and cork (not cold metal!) trivets. I prefer it to metal because I love to cook with tomatoes, which are pretty acidic, and clean up is so easy.

You can bake almost any quickbread, muffin, or cake recipe in an 8 1/2x4 1/2 inch loaf pan, and they don't take up much space.

If you don't have a good heavy skillet, I'd get that instead of the casserole. You can make small batch casseroles in a deep skillet (great for single life!), and keeping the loaf pan will allow you to experiment.

5. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Pyrex is super durable, I have a Pyrex oven dish that I've used several times a week for decades, I'm not sure why you would have concerns about it cracking in the future? I would say it's the best for cooking what you want, glass is highly non-reactive compared to just about anything else you could think of.

Pyrex is definitely more durable than ceramic.

6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    A 12 inch skillet is very close to the capacity of a 9x13 baking dish. I often use a skillet with an all metal handle instead for such oven duties. Unless you need the shape for a presentation reason, wait on the baking dish IMHO.

rittenremedy likes this.