simmer

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by bingo, Jun 27, 2013.

1. bingo

bingo Banned

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    I know what a simmer is. But what i find confusing is when a rec. says simmer food for x amt. of time,do you bring to a boil first than down to simmer or do you grad. bring to simmer. Most rec. tell you bring to boil first and then simmer, but some just say only simmer food for x amt .of time. (what do u do here)?

2. bingo

bingo Banned

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    let me put it this way. when it comes to simmer is it best to bring to a boil than drop down to a simmer for rec. that call for simmer.Is there any time you woildnt do this? Or am i wrong that when simmer is in a rec. you dont bring to a boil and down to simmer? Thanks

3. bingo

bingo Banned

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Let me ask this ........if I have ingred. to make a cheese sauce and it says to bring to a simmer. What setting would be the best to use. Low, medium, high. Do you choose the setting to how fast you want to stand there making it. Thanks

4. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well, if it says "...bring to a simmer...", that's what it means. To my mind, it does NOT mean "...bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer..."!

As far as "heat", that depends on your stove, your pot/pan/saucier, as well as how you cook.

With regards to the cheese sauce, I would, barring conflicting information, probably tend to start with lower heat and take longer, paying attention the entire time until I understood how the recipe worked. Once I've made it many times, I may start adjusting my technique, including raising the "heat" to a level I'm comfortable with.

Now, whether youu would be comfortable doing it the way I would do it is an entirely different question.

A safe answer? Start low and bring it up to a simmer slowly, remember, a simmer is around 180°F, not 212°F!

5. bingo

bingo Banned

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Wikipedia under simmer says boil first. Check it out.

6. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    And, of course, Wikipedia is never wrong, correct?
    Why bother to ask people that cook for a living if you've already reviewed the source of all things, Wikipedia?

Boil away, if it works for you, wonderful. I won't.

cacioepepe likes this.
  7. dillbert

dillbert Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
  8. bingo

bingo Banned

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    excuse me....what are you talking about?

9. bingo

bingo Banned

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    interesting some one trolling 

10. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Did someone come out from under a bridge??

11. bingo

bingo Banned

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Someone playing with my questions

12. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Bingo,

Follow the link and you will understand, 'tain't a troll.

In summary, cooking in water at a simmer, bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer.

Cooking with dairy, or any other scorch-able ingredient, bring it up slowly to a simmer.

But then again, just trust Wikipedia, it always has the best answers, right?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  13. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Wikipedia is always right because anyone can change the wrong answer to the correct one at any time!