Silverware quality and the "taste" of food

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by brianshaw, Nov 24, 2016.

1. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    One of my pet peeves when eating out is cheap silverware... especially when it has grime build-up. I dislike the feel of cheap (or weirdly designed) silverware and it often makes the food seem to taste less good. I really detest unclean silverware. A few water spots is annoying and I can easily polish them off with a napkin. But lipstick and chunks of baked in food absolutely turns my stomach.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. I sometimes comment on this aspect of dining in Yelp reviews and have seen others do similar.

What can I do? Would it be rude and weird to start bringing my own silverware?

This is only a problem at fast food and diner-type establishments generally. At fine dining I've never experienced this problem but I just can't afford to always take my family to restaurants of that caliber.

Anyone else share this pet peeve? Any other solutions to consider (except eating at home more often, of course)?

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I share your experience, even though for me it's my wife who started noticing it. I guess it didn't bother me that much because I wasn't seeing it. But even almost-fine dining.... like say a French bistro where you pay $30 for a 8oz skirt steak with french fries, she would get dirty silverware, or a dirty glass. Heck, once we went to Geoffrey's in Malibu, right on the ocean, so rather fancy I'd say.... and my coffee cup was so disgusting that it looked like someone had puked in it, honestly. 

I don't get it either. This should be the very first basics of eating in a restaurant: a clean plate, a clean glass and clean silverware. 

As for cheap silverware, yes, it definitely makes a big difference, and it's not just the price of the silverware, for example I realized that I don't like it when the tines of my fork are not aligned... like 3 of them are aligned and the fourth is bent out of alignment. Feels funny in my mouth and it distracts from what I'm eating. 

#whitepeopleproblems 

3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Ya, bent tines. My family calls them "funny forks" and one of my pre-dining responsibilities is "tine engineering and alignment". It keeps me occupied while waiting.

#affluentpeopleproblems.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    That's a better hashtag. More accurate too. 

5. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef

This makes me happy. From a silverware perspective. Mortons Steakhouse.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  6. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Well, if we're going to be critical, I don't like to cut steak - especially quality steak - with a serrated steak knife. It kinda tears the crust apart, even the steak's fibers, rather than giving them a clean cut like you can get from a sharp plain edge knife. But of course Steak house have other cats to whip than sharpening FOH knives on a regular basis.

In fact I don't even like cutting my steak in my plate. When I make steak at home, I serve it on a wooden cutting board and bring my chef's knife to cut slices that I give to my kids, or to myself.  

But hey, if I'm going to dine at Morton's, I'm not going to complain!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

7. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    That was my initial thought. But after 3/4 of that Old Fashioned I would have been happy cutting the steak with whatever they had. Dinner was great, BTW.