Sides for a pig roast

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by eastshores, Apr 19, 2010.

1. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I thought I would share a culinary adventure part deux, and hopefully solicit some suggestions that are just so damn tasty sounding that I can't avoid making them as side dishes. My buddies little girl is turning two, and we are doing our second pig roast to celebrate. Here's a shot of the participant from round one!

[​IMG]

I am going to be making black beans and rice, in honor of our cuban heritage in Florida (don't tell my dad I said that) .. what I plan to do is cook the beans (soaked etc) with ham hocks, onion, garlic, maybe a little cumin, and S&P. The rice.. I'm not sure how to do it, but I am thinking safron, fresh thyme, salt and pepper.. but if you are in the know with the rice please educate me. The rice will go into a large vessel, and then the beans layered on top, finally I will dice white onion and cilantro and layer the entire top of the beans with it.

If you have some sides that you think are just insane and required for a pig roast, please let me know. I'd like to make at least one more, but it has to be something incredible! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Saffron's good. So's achiote oil and sofrito. But you might look at moros y christianos to combine the rice and beans.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  3. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Thanks phatch.. had no idea there was a singular dish that brought them together. I will look more at that and decide. I do like the textural difference if the rice is left by itself and beans combined later, the starches don't come together as readily, but since I want the juices from the bean, ham hocks, etc. it may be a moot point.

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hopefully you'll get some good ideas.  We're planning on doing a pig roast for memorial day and all I've come up with is potato salad and cole slaw. 

5. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Kouk.. nothing wrong with the classics, they are guaranteed to please if done well. I am a bit of an experimenter, so I am looking for something different. I did do a south carolina mustard BBQ sauce last time (there's a thread on here) and we had most of the usual fixin's.

The pig roast has a steep cuban tradition, somewhat like the Hawaiian tradition, so I thought it would be good to do something in that line of thought. I make a mean pico de gallo .. but I might try to add in some mango for a nod to our Caribbean neighbors.