Sicilian lemon ice cream

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by sirlene, May 31, 2010.

1. sirlene

sirlene

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Does anyone have a sicilian lemon ice cream recipe which the italians serve inside the lemon?

I bought very nice organic lemons and I that is my favorite ice cream! I would like to try because they are not easily found here in Brazil.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I can't help you with ice cream. But Mario Batali has a recipe for Lemon Sorbetto in his Molto Gusto that might be suitable:

10-12 lemons, preferably organic

1/2 cup sugar

2 cups simple syrup

Zest 4 of the lemons, using a Microplne or other rasp grater. Put the sugar in a small bowl and, using the palms of your hands, rub the zest into the sugar.

Juice enough of the lemons to make 2 cups, and transfer to a medium bowl. Add the simple syrup and sugared zest and whisk well to combine. Do the egg test and add more juice or water or more sugar syrup, a little at a time, if necessary. Cover and refrigerate for about 3 hours, or until thoroughly chilled, stirring occasionally to dissolve all the sugar.

Strain the lemon juice mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufactere's instructions. Pack into a freezer container and freeze for at least 1 hour before serving. (the sorbet is best served the day it is made).

3. sirlene

sirlene

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    What does he mean by "egg test"?/img/vbsmilies/smilies/blushing.gif

Thanks!!

4. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  5. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Thanks for jumping in, Gunnar, and saving me the bother of typing it out.

6. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    lol, no problem. I read it and decided a link was far easier then trying to explain by retyping it.

7. sirlene

sirlene

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thank you!!!

8. sirlene

sirlene

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    ....(now reading the whole text in the link above).. Excellent material!!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

Last edited: May 31, 2010