Sicilian Gellato

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by aaronproot, Jun 25, 2005.

1. aaronproot

aaronproot

My wife and I just got back from Florence where we were chowing down every night on Sicilian granitas and gelatos from this one place in town near the Academie (sic).

For those of you who haven't tried the Sicilian version of gelato, it's made with milk instead of cream and the flavor is absolutely divine. While I found good chocolate and pistaccio versions, I can't seem to find a good base vanilla Sicilian gelato recipe that has a good texture and flavor.

Does anyone have a rock solid recipe I can use?

Thanks!

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    I don't have time right now to check for a "real" recipe, but I can tell you one that I just made last night, for something similar. It's actually an ice milk, but nondairy:

Add to 1 liter of ALMOND MILK (preferably an Italian brand; I find the American brand Blue Diamond not quite almondy enough): 200 grams of sugar (about 1 cup) or a little less, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, about 1 teaspoon orange flower water, and some grated lemon zest. Mix until the sugar has all dissolved, then freeze in an ice-cream machine. It comes out tasting like that "fiori di something" stuff, and is very light.

3. coffeekitten

coffeekitten

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I just finished ice creams in class. I think gelato is not so much about the ingredients and more about the method and amount of air incorporated. As for specific ingredients of sicilian gelato, i think theres a little bit of controversy. I'll do some checking and see what i can find.

Chocolate kisses, :lips:
    Coffeekitten

4. aaronproot

aaronproot

You guys are awesome! Thank you.

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    You really can't go by recipes, it's ingredients. You can't compare the milk. Most italian gelato makers in italy use( don't know the name, we call it vasoline) it's a conditioner. You just came from the best place to get sicilian gelato. I'll scale down some formulas as soon as I can and PM you.
    Pan
    I'm sure other will post some great formulas.CoffKitt is absolutely right about the air. The trick is keeping that air dry, so not to crystalize.