Shrimp

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by seafoodman, Feb 16, 2010.

1. seafoodman

seafoodman

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I have a question for professional chefs. Do you prefer to use wild American shrimp in your entrees or imported shrimp? Why?

2. letorthopper

letorthopper

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Not a professional...but an article in mens health changed the way I buy shrimp. Wild American all the way. I can't post a link because I'm a new user but if you go to mens health magazine and search for shrimp its the second article.

3. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    My favorite is shell on from Loisianna or as close to the Gulf as possible. I will not buy Tiger or IQF Peeled. They have no flavor what so ever.

4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Head on in the shell will have the most flavor.  Heads and shells make superb shrimp stock.  Like Chef Ed said, peeled IQF shrimp gave up most, if not all of their flavor before they even got off the boat.

mjb.

ps: I'm assuming folks here know that IQF means individually quick frozen.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  5. deltadude

deltadude

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Ed, I agree about the flavor.
    I have often wondered why a typical american cuisine restaurant would have some kind of shrimp dish and the shrimp would have no flavor, and you go to a Asian restaurant and the shrimp are always flavorful.
    In my last job I became friends with a Asian restaurant owner/chef.  He had started and sold two Asian restaurants in L.A. and was currently helping a friend setup a new restaurant in our Sacramento area.  To prove he could cook, he brought down to my work a couple of dishes twice, and they were excellent.  Anyway, I asked him about the shrimp flavor thing, he said in Asian restaurants they almost always brine their shrimp.  Salt, water, sugar.  about 20 minutes max. (use standard brining procedures).

I have done a few large family dinner parties 15-20 people, and I have been brining shrimp for past two years, and it works, everyone raves about the shrimp dishes.  In fact our year end family dinner, my sis felt we have had so much food the past years to leave off something, I left off the shrimp and man did I get an ear full from everyone, I knew they liked it but didn't realize how much...