Should I throw out a sponge I used to clean a wooden cutting board which had raw chiken on it?

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by logandesign, Jan 21, 2012.

  1. logandesign

    logandesign

    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    10
    Exp:
    Can't boil water
    I just bought a new cleaning kitchen sponge. And then I made chili and cut some chicken on a wooden cutting board. As I was cleaning it with the sponge I thought is it safe to then use the sponge to clean something else or does it spread bacteria? Do I need to throw out that sponge now?

    Logan
     
  2. davehriver

    davehriver

    Messages:
    123
    Likes Received:
    13
    Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Wash it good with dish soap.  Rinse well and sanitize in bleach solution or other sanitizer.
     
  3. petemccracken

    petemccracken

    Messages:
    3,401
    Likes Received:
    158
    Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Then throw it in the microwave for a minute or so on full power.
     
     
    davehriver likes this.
  4. chef matt

    chef matt

    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    10
    Exp:
    Home Chef
    Sponges are very convenient to use but I would never own one for this very reason. You can never be positive that it won't spread germs or that you have gotten it "clean".

    Consider a terry cloth bar rag that can be machine washable. The cost is minimal at most restaurant supply stores and they are much easier to clean.

    Although the other ways mentioned will probably work to clean a sponge, I would not subject my customers or my family to the dangers of what could happen if I did not clean the sponge properly. Just my opinion.
     
  5. sparkie

    sparkie

    Messages:
    177
    Likes Received:
    17
    Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Wash the sponge and nuke it like they said. If you really don't like germs, stay away from sponges. They take a long time to dry out and can become contaminated again during that time. Its nothing that I really worry about though. Especially since the next time I use it, there will be more soap inside. But like I said, of germs really aren't your thing, stay away.

    Also gotta mention, I would be more concerned about your wooden cutting board soaking in some of the bacteria from the chicken. Is probably okay if you sanitized it right away, but there is still sombre risk.
     
  6. chefedb

    chefedb

    Messages:
    5,516
    Likes Received:
    174
    Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Sponges can go in washer. Microwave them as Hi heat kills most bacteria but not all, but will kill salmonella from chix. Wash board with with detergent then  rinse with 5 parts per m clorox solution with a paper towl., then let airdry only. If by the time you use board and there is some residue from clorox left it wont hurt you or the food. You swim in a chloronated swimming pool don't you?