Should I stay or leave ??

Joined Dec 13, 2020
Hi Chefs,
I am the Executive Sous Chef in one of property in Maldives, I am not quite sure what I should do either stay or leaving property. needing advice
Situation is COVID hit hard and we lost Executive Chef - a great guy but I am use to handle operation & admin alone cause of his trust where his guidance never short.

Now, management decided to removed him for expenses. my team got cut down and I still have remaining chefs only 17 out of 43. occupancy still the same busy. we work 16hrs daily without off day. they have use opportunity during closure while staffs at home and don't bring them back.
I am trying to get manning to support the team, seems management playing slow with it.
Also, they have promise me promotion as do as for my staffs who have excel. unfortunately they are not so good with keeping promises - I have asked it to written but not being done

The only reason I am staying and fight for this is because of my team members, other wise I would be long gone.

Should I stay or leave?

Joined Apr 29, 2011
It depends on what your options are. Everything might start to normalise in late spring when everyone starts getting vaccinated or it could drag on. Do you have somewhere else you can go? If you are getting paid on time it could be worth sticking it out. When travel becomes a thing again it will be crazy busy there and if they saw you showed loyalty it could pay off. But if you are saying occupancy is the same and they cut staff it could be time to move unless occupancy is the same because they are giving rooms away . Very difficult times for everyone.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
16 hrs daily without an off day says it all. Start looking for other work, start by contacting your old Chef. Once you have a position secured, give notice and watch how mngmt react....

Joined Nov 9, 2020
I understand the owner's desire to cut costs, make as much as they can just in case this Virus-induced insanity gets worse, but you also have to look out for yourself... If you're asking if you should go, you might be answering your own question. On the other hand, the way things are right now jobs are few and far between, so even though you are going through some panic-indiced hell at work, you might want to hang tough and keep on keepin' on until you know which way the wind is blowing...

There is something else - I've seen owners cut their upper staff when they find lower people can do the job, have them do the job but not compensate them as they would someone who they ust cut loose. You say you're an exec sous, now doing the work of your former exec chef, but did they increase your pay when they had you take over the job? That's something to consider - they maay look at you as being someone they can take advantage of because they can.

Anyway, the decision to stay or leave is up to you. I always thinkone thing, tho - it's always better having an income than when you don't have an income.

Joined Dec 13, 2020
It depends on what your options are. Everything might start to normalise in late spring when everyone starts getting vaccinated or it could drag on. Do you have somewhere else you can go? If you are getting paid on time it could be worth sticking it out. When travel becomes a thing again it will be crazy busy there and if they saw you showed loyalty it could pay off. But if you are saying occupancy is the same and they cut staff it could be time to move unless occupancy is the same because they are giving rooms away . Very difficult times for everyone.
Thank you for the point you have made, a very solid one. in other hands my staffs are getting burnt out and seems they are leaving soon too. even we have shown the loyalty to our company but little help was very hard to get

Joined Dec 13, 2020
16 hrs daily without an off day says it all. Start looking for other work, start by contacting your old Chef. Once you have a position secured, give notice and watch how mngmt react....
my Chef said to hold on, that's why I am still here as well as my staffs need me - we had a discussion openly and now we are trying our string chef. Bu if there any lead please let me know [email protected]

Joined Dec 13, 2020
I understand the owner's desire to cut costs, make as much as they can just in case this Virus-induced insanity gets worse, but you also have to look out for yourself... If you're asking if you should go, you might be answering your own question. On the other hand, the way things are right now jobs are few and far between, so even though you are going through some panic-indiced hell at work, you might want to hang tough and keep on keepin' on until you know which way the wind is blowing...

There is something else - I've seen owners cut their upper staff when they find lower people can do the job, have them do the job but not compensate them as they would someone who they ust cut loose. You say you're an exec sous, now doing the work of your former exec chef, but did they increase your pay when they had you take over the job? That's something to consider - they maay look at you as being someone they can take advantage of because they can.

Anyway, the decision to stay or leave is up to you. I always thinkone thing, tho - it's always better having an income than when you don't have an income.

totally agree to have an income rather than not, Yes it is kind a used by Management especially they are confident I can do a job and already proven this for 2 years. I will see situation after these 1 - 2 months. if there is no compensate either for my staffs nor myself. sure fly chef. thank you for advice

Joined Aug 19, 2019
It sounds like the resort is too busy for management to care about its employees. Everyone is just a number. I dont know anything about you. But, it sounds like youre a hardworking dedicated individual. My advice would be to bide your time until the right opportunity comes along. It may take a wee bit longer during these covid times. Keep you eyes and ears open for opportunities with the competition. Good luck!

Joined Dec 13, 2020
It sounds like the resort is too busy for management to care about its employees. Everyone is just a number. I dont know anything about you. But, it sounds like youre a hardworking dedicated individual. My advice would be to bide your time until the right opportunity comes along. It may take a wee bit longer during these covid times. Keep you eyes and ears open for opportunities with the competition. Good luck!
Thank you Chef Navy, Yes I have been working hard as so as my team. well, I am now finally getting my additional manning (actually they are staffs who been redundancy) I was holding on for the team, now its paid off. today is 13.01.2021 and I was starting back into property on Oct 17,2020 and tomorrow my first off day. by the way something good coming in too Chef. Now many section of the resort are receiving resignation from staffs - one of high management called me up 2 days ago asking how I cope with my team? HAHA, I said please take this with no hard feeling "Just do your job of being a leader" I guess without off days making me corkier

Top Bottom