Should I discard this pork?

Joined Nov 12, 2016
I have a 5 lb pork butt intended for pulled pork that my wife put in a crackpot full of room temperature root beer at 7:30-8:00 this morning. She just got back to the house (about 12:30-1:00 pm) to find that the outlet where the crock pot was plugged in, is not working. Is this pork now bad or will it be okay as long as I heat it to the proper internal temerature?

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Safety is not a black and white affair. Bacteria develop rapidly at room temp, so the more time the piece of meat is  at room temp, the more bacterias you'll have, and the more RISK of getting sick. It also depends where that piece of meat comes from and how much bacterias are already present on it when you take it out of the fridge. I would trust a piece of meat that comes from a local farmer much, much more than I would something that was handled in a factory.

5 hour at room temp is considered unsafe for commercial practices, but at home, many people do it, it depends on what the room temp is exactly (63F or 89F?). Out of those many people doing it, some are getting sick, while most probably aren't.

So I would say you're taking a small risk of getting sick from that piece of meat. You now have the difficult decision of deciding buying a replacement joint is worth it to you or not.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 4, 2011
I'm using it. That's how I roll. However ... everyone here thinks I'm an idiot. 

Latest posts

Top Bottom