Should I chop an onion like this??? Yay or Nay?

Joined Aug 24, 2018
Several of you guys have recommended some cook books (on technique) on the previous thread and they're on the way! :) Several of you also mentioned getting intimately familiar with the almighty onion because I will probably be chopping them for the rest of my life. Now is as good a time as any to get started.

So....How is this as a basic starting point? Yes or no? :)

Thanks
-Jonathan

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I have better success with horizontal cuts first but I seem to be in the minority. Try both and see what works best for you.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Most would use a chef's knife. But a petty, santoku or Chinese chef's knife are all well suited to the task.

A bit does depend on the size of the onion in question as well. Larger onions might rule out the petty.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
I use a chef's knife or an usuba, and I always do horizontal slices. If you want fine onion, that's the right way.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
I don't know why on earth anyone does horizontal cuts near the top, there is absolutely nothing to gain from it, it's a complete mystery. With a very sharp laser-like knife I would do 3-5 of these horizontal cuts from top to bottom and before the vertical ones just for the fun of zipping the knife through with a quick pull cut and flick of the tip, or with a lesser knife just to impress myself with the "power" of my technique.

If you are going to do horizontal cuts, just do one about 1/4 up from the bottom, that is where the inner onion layers take a sharp turn downward, along with the outer layers where the outside cuts vertical cuts leave large sections (unless you angle your blade inward there) and will leave you with some oversized pieces without a horizontal cut through them. For safety sake do it after the vertical cuts just as in the video. A quick pull cut here would easily take any part of a finger off if it got in the way, not a technique for the inexperienced.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Here is THE knife skills champ Rick Theory doing a dice, notice he does angle his vertical cuts toward the center, and notice also how fine his dice is along with the blazing speed.

Joined May 5, 2010
I Am curious why we were all taught to make the horizontal cuts.
Surely the French knew the anatomy of an onion.

Joined Dec 30, 2015
I've used Chef Ramsay's method since I discovered it a couple years ago. It is quick and easy, especially for those with poor knife skills (like me). Plus, no more crying!

Joined Sep 5, 2018
Never saw the point of horizontal cuts. I never do them.

Several of you guys have recommended some cook books (on technique) on the previous thread and they're on the way! :) Several of you also mentioned getting intimately familiar with the almighty onion because I will probably be chopping them for the rest of my life. Now is as good a time as any to get started.

So....How is this as a basic starting point? Yes or no? :)

Thanks
-Jonathan

Latest posts

Top Bottom