Short rib fraud

Joined Aug 10, 2013
Cooked short ribs today picked them up at local butcher. I know for sure thees are not short ribs. First off the bone is much narrower than what I have had in the past. There is not even half the meat on it, and way less fat. Any idea what this SOB gave me, because I am going to make a complaint.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
Short Ribs is not a specific cut of beef, but rather any beef rib that has been cut from the full length (hence the short). There are several cuts that fall under short rib. You may have a different cut than you are used to, and of course individual animals will vary from each other.

Joined Aug 10, 2013
Worst ones I have ever seen, not much meet at all, nothing like I have made in the past!
I won't buy anything there again! I have had way better from supermarket.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
It’s always disappointing to be dissatisfied. Did your butcher not show them to you before wrapping them up?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I really hope they taste good even though they aren’t what you expected.

once I saw chicken in the case but butcher packed from a table I couldn’t see. Ten minutes later I opened it at home and it reeked. I was so tempted to shove it down the jerks throat. After that… I see and pick from the case, and insist on smelling it. They HATE that and even more with the COVID climate. If they refuse to let me smell, which is becoming increasingly common, I open the package immediately after leaving the shop to smell… preferably in plain sight of the butcher and customers. I have no inhibitions and not afraid to walk right back in and announce my dissatisfaction. Fortunately that is rare.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
By the way… since you looked at them and accepted , then it’s not fraud. You might want to amend the title for accuracy.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Short Ribs is not a specific cut of beef, but rather any beef rib that has been cut from the full length (hence the short). There are several cuts that fall under short rib. You may have a different cut than you are used to, and of course individual animals will vary from each other.
Really? Not trying to cause trouble but I thought was just the balance of the rib and some have more meat some have less.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
Really? Not trying to cause trouble but I thought was just the balance of the rib and some have more meat some have less.
Really. The short rib can come from different sections of the rib cage (which is pretty long on cattle). There will be variation due to where on the cow it came from, as well as the style of cut (English, flanken, Korean, etc.).

This is a pretty good write up: https://www.chefs-resources.com/types-of-meat/beef/cuts-of-beef/beef-short-ribs/

This has some interesting points (though I had to smile at the slip of spare rib at the end). https://bbqchamps.com/beef-ribs-different-cuts-variations/

We've done our own butchering from beginning to end. It's an amazing education going from whole critter to individual cuts. I have much appreciation for a good butcher now!

Last edited:

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
OK thanks for that. I didn't know getting it from rib 1-5 was "legal."

Latest posts

Top Bottom