Shopping for cook's workclothes

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by kleinkiwi, Mar 2, 2018.

1. kleinkiwi

kleinkiwi

Exp:
    Apprentice
    Hi guys,

I'm an apprentice and I've just changed from a chain hotel restaurant to a much smaller local place. My problem/task at the moment is to get myself some cooks pants, as the hotel supplied me with everything. Just wondering what tips and tricks there are in regard to choosing a good set of pants and if there is anything in particular that I should look out for.

Thanks in advance

(I realise that this question has probably been asked a million time on here, but the search function didn't turn up anything useful)

2. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  3. r.shackleford

r.shackleford

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree, hoppy chef is a great site though i do with they would ship to Canada eh!.
    Be careful ordering from Amazon, the sizes can be really small, i recently ordered a couple of pairs of large pants (i usually wear medium) from China and I couldn't get them over my knees, my 98 pound prep cook loves them.
    Best piece of advise is keep your receipts and claim them as work expenses on your tax return

4. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Really any brand of chef pant should work for you. I would stay away from the more "decorative" styles, like the chili peppers, etc. Solid color or chalk/pin striped are probably OK. Can never go wrong with black or khaki colored pants.

You don't say if you are a guy or a girl, so obviously different styles might fit differently. Dickies are a good, reliable and relatively inexpensive option for work pants, I have known lots of cooks and chefs that wear them.

I don't care too much for Chefwear brand clothes, their quality has really taken a hit the last few years. IMO they used to be the best, but not not even close.

Chefworks is pretty good...a bit overpriced but they have a good range of styles.

5. dogfood

dogfood Banned

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hi, newbie here.
    I've just purchased some Mercer Culinary jackets (they have pants also) from Amazon.
    Had them on the "wish list" & the price dropped (one day only) to $5.89 - keep an eye open