shoestring potato emergency

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by momoreg, Oct 5, 2000.

1. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    We are having a dilemma here at work. The chef is making shoestrings today for a 400 count party, and for some reason, they are not crisping. She soaked them in cold water before frying, and never before have they not gotten crispy. It is raining today, but I don't think that's the reason. Could it be the starch content of the potatoes?They are Idahos. We tried russets this morning. Same. Please reply ASAP! Thanks.

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    P.S. We are about to toss some in cornstarch before frying. We'll see how that goes...

3. chef david simpson

chef david simpson

You might have too much going in at one the
    same time. use flour instead of corn starch

4. nick.shu

nick.shu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Idaho potatos should be fine for frying, you may want to blanch them in the deepfryer at a lower temp before finishing off the product at a higher temperature later.

5. cookm

cookm

Hi, we actually had the same problem at one of the restaurants I work at. With shoestring potatoes that we had cut on the mandoline. We found out that the sugar level in the potatoes really make a difference. We always test the batch before we cut 'em. If they don't crisp, we switch to a thick cut fry which gets double fried. I wonder if Harold McGee has something to say about this?

6. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I will certainly print this out for the chef. It turns out that another local business that makes shoestrings all the time was complaining of the same thing. Must've been the potatoes themselves. In any event, our local purveyor is sending us ready-to-fry shoestrings today, and they made mashed with all the potatoes we had. That's a lot of staff meal!

7. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Thanks for the replies, by the way...