Chef Forum banner

Shipping frozen product

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  maryb 
#1 ·
We have been getting increasing interest in one of our frozen ready-to-bake items from people who would need it to be shipped to them.

We are researching the requirements and options, so I thought I would see if any of y'all have done this and if you have any preferred methods / supply vendors, etc.

TIA

#2 ·
Shipping frozen produce - yes indeed :)
In regards to methods - frozen containers / trucks / airfreight containers
Basically, the shipping temperature needs to ensure, that the product remains in frozen throughout the whole transport chain
Depending on:
From where to where are you shipping? That will determine your mode of transport
Once you have the mode of transport, then you can see, which 3PL (3rd party logistics providers) offer a cold chain solution - that is the one you want (as this generally includes temperature and humidity tracking throughout the whole transport).

Are you exporting to another country?
Then it will be important to check the import requirements (i.e. what are the requirements to import frozen produce?)
While that generally would be your customers job to handle that part, it could be, that certain analysis / health certificates are required, which of course would then be the job of the supplier (so your job) to get those documents ready

Used to work for a company that exported frozen pastry products from France all over Asia
We shipped them in 40' reefer containers (set at -18 C) with humidity and temperature sensors monitoring any variances.
Upon receipt of the container, a temperature check (3rd party) was done at port to ensure, the products where still at -18 C
Into a frozen truck it went to the warehouse, directly into the frozen storage section.
Delivery to customers again in frozen truck.

Hope that I was able to give you some insight into it - any questions do let me know :)

#3 ·
That was very informative and I thank you - and apologize I should have included more detail - we are shipping directly to customers, not wholesale. We are thinking of limiting it to the eastern 1/3 of the country for now, so definitely not international.

We have hopes for a regional store for wholesale, but luckily we will be able to sell it to them here and they take care of shipping it to their other stores.

Right now we like Polar Tech's USPS Flat Rate insulated shipper. We are going to run some trials with dry ice vs dry ice + gel packs. I hope it works with just dry ice as that would be less waste and expense, but don't want to compromise the product.

They do have one use temperature sensors, so we may be able to include those as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.