Shepherds Pie

Joined Dec 26, 2000
Hi...Does anyone have an authentic English recipe they could share for Shepherds Pie??? burp :eek: oops 'scuse me

Joined Mar 13, 2001
I don't know how authentic mine is but I start with leftover roast beef that gets ground into my Kitchenaid meat grinder with a couple of onions.

Place that in the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking dish. Then, I layer creamed corn, then peas, finished off with a thick layer of mashed potatoes (you can pipe the potatoes if you like), a sprinkle of paprika and a few dots of butter.

Into a 375 - 400 degree F preheated oven it goes on a cookie sheet (to catch drips) until the top gets golden brown. For convection oven, bake at 350 degrees.

:p

Joined Apr 30, 2001
This just showed up in my mailbox today...in of all things my alumni magazine. Credited to Dr. Stephen Dilks from Lincolnshire, England.

Ingredients

1 pound ground beef or lamb
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 carrots, diced
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
2 cups sliced mushrooms
3 Tbsp tomato paste
dash of Worchestershire sauce
6 cups mashed potatoes
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Instructions

Brown meat in large pan, drain fat and remove meat.

Saute onion and garlic, adding cooking oil if necessary. Add vegetables and cook a few minutes.

Add tomato paste and flavor to taste with Worchestershire sauce, salt and pepper.

Add meat back and stir. Place in a casserole dish.

Pack mashed potatoes on top of meat mixture, covering surface evenly.

With a fork, rake the top of the potatoes creating peaks and valleys. Sprinkle cheese on top.

Bake at 350F for 20 minutes, until heated through and cheddar is melted and bubbly.

Joined May 26, 2001
To paraphrase a couple of posts on another site: it's hard to find a good shepherd's pie these days made with really fresh shepherds. Yeah, but the french still fry up pretty well.

:lips: ;)

Joined Jan 5, 2001
Am I the only one? Every time I had sheppard's pie as kid, I would have a bite and... well... lose my lunch. :rolleyes: Still can't eat it to this day...

Suzanne, maybe you're right. Maybe there just weren't enough sheppards! :eek: :D

Joined Jul 24, 2001
THAT, was interesting!

In Crete shepherds make the famous "Lamb Pie"
The concept is the same with Kimmie's recipe, they just add some fresh butter.

It's delicious! I can find you an original Cretan recipe, if you wish.

The main idea for shepherd's food in Greece is that they prepare things that they can last for days out of the fridge, since they are obliged to stay for quite a long time on the mountains!

When it comes to Cretan shepherds, believe me girls, they are never enough but are always fresh!!!

;)

PS Cretans are the most handsome Greek, scientifically speaking of course!!!

Joined Oct 11, 2001
Athenaeus,

You made me blush! :suprise:

Thank you for your kind words about Cretans and the most popular representative, Alex Zorbas.

My recipe of this shepherd’s pie is a Cretan original one.

Lamb Cake from Chanea, Crete (Arnotourta Chanion)

Pastry:
1/2 kg flour
1 yogurt
1 glass olive oil
salt

Filling:
1 kg lean meat (lamb, goat or veal)
1 kg cottage cheese (mizithra)
1 glass staka or butter
salt, cinnamon, pepper, mint.

Boil the meat. Cut into small pieces and sprinkle with salt, cinnamon and pepper. Knead the dough and place half in a lightly oiled oven dish, spreading evenly by hand to cover the whole surface. On top of the dough spread half the cottage cheese and half the staka. Spinkle with a little cinnamon and mint. Add the meat and half a cup of the meat stock in order to soften the dough. Cover with the remainder of the cottage cheese and sprinkle with cinnamon and mint. Roll out a thick sheet of pastry with the remainder of the dough. Place pastry on top of pie and trim edge. Brush top lightly with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake in a low-heat oven for approximately one hour.

Staka is the traditional Cretan butter made of sheep’s milk. Its taste is distinctive. It’s staka that gives this excellent taste in Cretan dishes.
This pie is delicious. I suggest you not to have much because it’s a very heavy meal although it doesn’t look like!
I prepare it for my friends when we are gathered to watch a football match on TV with a glass of chilled white wine. No more pizzas and plastic food in my house!

Zorba

Joined Mar 13, 2001
How many ounces in a glass, Zorba?

And thank you so much for this recipe. I shall try this, in JANUARY 2002 (sigh :rolleyes: )

Joined Jul 24, 2001
Dear Zorba!

You saved me from calling my mom to ask for the recipe (she is from Crete)

I think the way to avoid the strong smell of the lamb in this pie is to saute the meat for a couple of minutes after boiling it! Otherwise, boiled lamb with cottage cheese doesn't smell so nicely...

In Crete shepherds make this pie from the left overs of roasted lamb!

BTW Dear Zorba, the original Alex Zorbas was not from Crete as many people think, but he was from Mani...
Check the book and you will find out that I am right!

Sorry about that!

Joined Mar 13, 2001
I was just about to ask if that could be done. Thanks!

Zorba: I meant how many fluid ounces or ml in a glass?

:lips:

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Shepherds Pie is a good comfort food which is why I like it creamed corn in it.

I do like the lamb idea, something to think about.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Mine is shredded pot roast and gravy, a layer of fresh grated carrots, mashed potatoes and sharp cheddar ontop......I make two pot roasts at a time so we'll have enough for shepard's pie.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
What a wonderful post. Your right, the last time I was in Crete I remember seeing all those sheppards. And come to think of it, I think I remember all the pies, wrapped for the long trip, in the trunk of the Lancia...Or was it in line at the McDonalds ? It was a wonderful sight watching all the autos chasing the sheep around.:) :p :eek: :chef:
PS: from a mans point of view( rare around here) Italian men have it all over Greek men.:D

Joined Oct 11, 2001
This was an accurate description of modern Cretans,Panini.

As a man I do not have preference in men but from what I hear from Greek women they love Italians very very much!
The only problem that they have "reported" is that Italians have the tendency to rob them of their lipsticks and their mascara...
Something that Cretan shephards never do. Too old fashioned maybe- according to western european criteria!

:D

Joined Jan 26, 2001
I had shepherds pie in Australia and fell in love with it. Then I had a Canadian penpal, and got a different view.

He says shepherds pie is what most people do for leftover night. Throw some meat and veggies together, throw potatoes on top with cheese, sprinkle on some herbs for good measure, and wala! Dinner for the family.....

I don't think you can do it any wrong way.....

:chef:

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Nah that's not right. Can't make shepherd pie, or pate chinois, with leftovers. Not where I come from anyway.

You have to brown ground beef with onions, put in the oven proof dish. Cover with creamed corn then mashed potatoes. Add a bit of paprika, for colour, very important says my mother.

When ready to eat, warm in the oven, the potato will become slightly crispy on top. Delicious with fruit ketchup.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
The very best Sheppherd's Pie IS made with leftover roast beef. The texture and flavour is very different than just regular ground beef previously sautéed in a pan. Even Shroomgirl says she cooks an extra roast beef just to that end.

Joined Jan 26, 2001
It appears that Kimmie might indeed know a true Canadian shepherd's pie. It appears that she lives in CANADA?!?

:look: :look: :p :p

I think its kind of like tiramisu. Everyone thinks they make it right and best, but those people all make it in different ways. Should we discuss tiramisu too? It's one of my favorite topics....

~~Shimmer~~

Latest posts

Top Bottom