Sharpening Stones

Joined Apr 8, 2002
I hate to start another thread that provokes more arguments and opinions about knife sharpening, but I am looking for a new whetstone and I'm curious as to what type of stones everyone prefers. (I use wusthof high-carbon stainless steel knives)

Joined Oct 23, 2003
i use a norton at work and halls tri-stone at home but just picked up an edge-pro about a month ago. Best sharpening system i've used-reground bevels on all my old german knives and they are good to go. Set you back $130 or so but worth it to me.
hth, danny

Joined Aug 4, 2000
You may want to do a search at Cheftalk since your subject has already been covered at length.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
The edge-pro is widely considered the pinnacle for knife sharpening among knife knuts.

The easiests to use is with very good results is generally thought to the Spyderco Tri-angle Sharpmaker.

I personally use the sharpmaker. Two grits but four cutting actions, different angles for setting up as a crock stick sharpening system and slots for use as a bench stone. Also works well for hand use as a file. Includes slots for sharpening points as on an awl. Will even sharpen vegetable peelers.

The Norton stones are nice. I think the Sharpmaker is superior.

The sharpening FAQ is a good place to learn more.

Phil

Latest posts

Top Bottom