Shapton Glass progression?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by indiglofish61, Nov 21, 2016.

1. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    So I finally decided on Shapton Glass for my agomi knives, ? is what would be the progression on the grits? I was thinking of like 500, then 4000 and then 8000, with that said, it looks like I really don't know what would be the best progression. Any advise or suggestions would be a great help on this subject. Thanks ahead of time.

2. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'd probably get a 1000 instead of a 8000

benuser likes this.
  3. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    do you mean a 10,000?

4. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    No, I meant what I typed. Give you something to fill the gaps in the scratch patterns between 500 and 4k. A 4k edge is fine, I've been messing with finishing a high hardness gyuto on a Naniwa Hayabusa 4k. Get a 10k if you'll be sharpening razors, I guess

5. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    There are differing views here, I happen to like high-grit finishes, but most do prefer around 4K to finish.  So if you stay with the 8K replace the 4K with a 2K or 3K, the 2K and 3K I understand are the better stones in the Shapton line for feel and feedback.  You'll find the 8K slippery in comparison and it may take you a little while to feel comfortable with it, but it's a fast cutter, doesn't clog as I understand, and will get the job done and you knife will still have some toothiness and good bite.

6. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Rick, last night I ordered the 500, 2k, 4k, and the 8k, did I go overboard on that, I did that from the reviews and post on sites that I read. Should I drop the 2k and keep the 4k or visa versa?

7. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    All I can say is I personally would be fine without the 4K, but having it gives you more options. Consider a 5K maybe, but it's all very subjective what folks like for grit sizes.

8. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Can't find 5k in Shapton glass, I guess I will just keep the 4k, thanks for the replies

9. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    You got a good overall grit range, doable intervals. Probably will use the 2k and 4k the most while starting out on your new knife, 500 sparingly sometime later unless you're practicing on old chunky stuff, 8k after you get consistent angle holding such that you're not rounding over edges with the high grit stuff

10. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Benuser, I think you are right, so if I go on the 1k, then I won't have to go to much on the 2k, then I can move on, I think I might as well get a 1k since on the buying whetstone role lol! Thanks for all of the feed backs, you all have a good one

11. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I know I'm in the minority with the 8K.  And as lamented throughout the ages, "Oh, it's lonesome at the top."  ;-)~

12. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I certainly play around with high grit stones and naturals, but truthfully am not sure I've got enough experience and awareness to really be able to define the nuances and differences at those fine grits. The Rika 5k was absolutely appropriate as a starter finishing stone in my case

13. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The Rika 5k was my first choice, but then I looked at the Shapton's  and went for the Shaptons, hopefully I can learn how to get my knives sharp on them, by the way if I am going to sharpen them put out off the box should I start with the 500, or the 1k?

14. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    If you got an acceptably thin knife, 1k or 2k out of the box, no real need to drop to 500

15. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    It's a Guyo Agomi, and the blade width is 3.5mm, I don't know if that is considered thin for this type of knife or not.

16. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    That's pretty non-specific. Gyuto is just basically chefs knife, and aogami denotes the composition of the core steel. What exactly did you order?

Re:spine width, it's less important than what the thickness is behind the edge. You'll see when you get it, at any rate

17. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Got the knives today, they are pretty sharp right out of the box, but I'm sure they be more sharper, I also got the JCK whetstones, I still can't decide whether or not I want to send them back, for one thing It will cast me about a third to half of what I bought the for, I'll just have to decide>        

18. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    If bob kramer can sharpen on king stone, then you shouldnt be so snooty. At your level skill is more important than what synthetic stone is used.

19. indiglofish61

indiglofish61

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Who's being this snooty thing! That is not the reason I trying to decide, I think you should of asked first about why I am trying to decide, I pretty sure they are good  stones, that was not the reason! so that said, I am going to think about if I want to keep them or not, you're sure are no help! BYE

20. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Aside from being extremely helpful here with his broad range of experience with many different makers, Millions is never the less actually just a mere amateur when it comes to snooty, that's typically my job here, and he really wasn't being snooty or accusing you of it, he was just nudging you to make a decision.  Innuendo doesn't always translate well.  And it's well known that I always experience great indecision in these matters myself, so there is no reason to take anything personal here.

So just take your time and think about it.  Just some considerations to help:  It's not that big a deal to go from 500 to 2K with fast cutters like Shaptons.  An 8K Shapton behave more like a 6.5K Chosera/Ninawa Pro, and similarly through the whole line, so none of them is as fine as their numbers indicate.  But 500, 1K, 4K is possibly going to be the easiest for you to learn on.  And people who agonize less over money typically have an easier time finding it.  Or so I like to think.  ;-)~

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016