Setting up a personal chef business

Joined Oct 21, 2018
As I am nearing finishing school, I am trying to get my dishes ready for my personal chef business and was wondering if anyone has had any experience setting one up?
I am willing to join any association to further the cause but don't want to spend unnecessary money.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated (I am a plant-based chef)

Thanks

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Well, you need a clientele. There are many different ways you can gather up business like this. At the outset, I wouldn't recommend specialty dishes or restrict your menu to only certain styles or types of food i.e. plant based etc. The idea is to cast a wide net, get your name known and once established, you can specialize.

Some good ways to drum up business is bulletin boards, church/social groups, social media, flyers (especially to medical offices. I know a young chef who works as a private chef for an oral surgery practice. He makes very good money). If you have a friend or relative who is having a holiday party or other event, offer to work for free or for the cost of food to get your name out there.

Good luck. :)

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Is it savory or sweet plant based food or both? You could always market with established business to offer some of your items to get your name and product out there without committing to a location/full menu.

Joined Sep 10, 2016
A friend of mine is very health-conscious and into plant-based cooking, she isn't a personal chef per se, but started an interesting business surrounding healthy food, check out her facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rebelrootsintheraw/. She also does massage, so it's a kind of holistic health business. When you say "plant based" it could imply that you are also health conscious, and so perhaps a great niche for you is to really get into that idea of preparing *healthy* meals for busy professionals. good luck.

Joined Oct 21, 2018
Thanks everyone, I will be sticking to plant based food as I feel there is a huge opportunity in this field and I am very health conscious .
My main clients will be plant /low sodium/no oil people as that is how I am currently being trained, up to now it's just savory but I may add sweet if the demand is enough. Thanks for everyone's input.

Joined Sep 10, 2016
See also https://vancouvermusclemeals.com. This is not plant-based, but it is a health-focused meal delivery company, perhaps not quite the "personal chef" idea you have, but a valuable example nonetheless.
Thanks everyone, I will be sticking to plant based food as I feel there is a huge opportunity in this field and I am very health conscious .
My main clients will be plant /low sodium/no oil people as that is how I am currently being trained, up to now it's just savory but I may add sweet if the demand is enough. Thanks for everyone's input.

Top Bottom