Chef Forum banner

Serving 350 people.

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  meezenplaz 
#1 ·
I am going to do hash brown casserole & peach cobbler for 350 people. This is going to be picked up.
I am doing this in a 20" x13" 2 1/2 " deep. How many serving can I get out of this pan ? I don't know if it is self served or served.
Self served they will take more then a 4 oz. serving. Please help, I am over my head on this. A friend is trying to help me out on getting more catering jobs.

#3 ·
I once helped a friend do a catered job for 30 people. She did a hash brown casserole and it was done on top and bottom but not in the middle. What depth would be recommended in the 20" x 13" Trying to not have so many pans to pick up. What is a good cam

bro, for a small caterer who does not do much?

#11 ·
I wish I could turn it down. A friend that is involved in a lot of the City activities and holds down positions is helping me out. Started out just doing Hash Brown Casserole for 300. If I don't do this, being in a small town, and two restaurants, has the catering jobs. I am out. I just wanted some advice from more experience chefs. I am 75, been cooking since 15, mostly from scratch. My only concern is how long I can hold Hash Brown Casserole warm, without it getting dried out.

#12 ·
I am not exactly sure how hash brown casserole is prepared, but I well imagine that once baked if you cellophane and then foil the pans and put immediately into a cambro camcarrier they should hold good and at safe temperature for 4 hours.

#13 ·
I can only cook three at a time with 5 lbs of hash brown in each pan. That has to start at 9:00 am. Pick up is at 3:30 pm. I have warming pads, two grills and chafing dishes. I will keep on very low heat, just hoping they don't dry out. I am making my own cheese sauce for them. So I will have extra in case of being dried out. Cheese, will be added on top before putting into cambro's. Thanks, for your advice.

#14 ·
My concern after reading your last post is food safety and quality of the product. Are you going to be to hold all of the hash brown casserole pans at or above 135-deg. F? Even Canbros have their limitations. And just because you can safety hold a hot food dish hot for hours and hours doesn't mean it will be a quality dish at meal time.

#15 ·
Yes, I will hold food at 135. My concern is the hash brown being dried out. I am going to have extra cheese sauce in case I need to add to them just before pick up. That is what has me concerned, A friend who has a lot of pull in several areas is trying to help me get more catering jobs. She knew my limit was 100. If I turn her down she will stop helping me. So I am in between a rock and a hard place. Thanks, for your help. The casseroles I will be holding for a long time, I am not going to completely cook all the way through. Just have to do a lot of watching each one. I am making hash browns the day before and refrig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.