Service charge

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by jakekerr95, Jun 20, 2017.

1. jakekerr95

jakekerr95

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Just wandering how much chefs usually get when their employer pays "service charge"? Just out of curiosity that's all, job I've applied for says they pay service charge so was just wandering how much for other people this usually comes to?

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  2. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    None, in my experience.

3. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Usually a service charge is added to the check by the restaurant instead of the customer adding a tip. At least, that is my understanding. I don't know what getting paid "service charge" is...it is usually done by restaurants who are trying to even out the pay gap between FoH and BoH. In other words, servers, bussers, cooks, etc all make an hourly wage instead of "tips," and the service charge is added by the restaurant to the bill instead of a customer giving a tip directly to the server. 

Your pay is, and should be, determined by your hourly rate or salary and, again...at least in my understanding, shouldn't have anything to do with the service charge (that is just how the restaurant gets money to pay for the employees). 

If the person who is hiring you can't or won't tell you what you will be paid for the job...seek elsewhere. Are you in the US or elsewhere?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  4. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    "Service charge" applies only to servers, no? Hence the name?

5. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Not really. Service charge is just shorthand for when the restaurant adds the 15-20% onto the bill itself instead of tipping. It's kind of an outdated term...I know that Per Se changed the wording to "operational fee" or something like that a few years ago. 

Probably needs to change though...like I said, service charge seems an outdated term. 

6. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    At my restaurant the 'service charge' goes to the owner.

7. jakekerr95

jakekerr95

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    [quote name="Someday" url="/t/92503/service-charge#post_562041

If the person who is hiring you can't or won't tell you what you will be paid for the job...seek elsewhere. Are you in the US or elsewhere?
    [/quote]

Im in the UK, it just said you get paid service charge on the application so I was just curious as to how much it would be really, I've never seen it before when looking for new jobs

8. dectra

dectra

Exp:
    Home Cook
    When in FOH, I'd give back 15 - 20 % to the BOH, especially if I had picky customers with orders that weren't straight forward.

When working on the line, I was surprised to see some servers did this as a mater of custom / respect / camaraderie and others were more of the F.U. school; thinking they alone deserved the charge.