Server access to the kitchen

Joined Mar 18, 2010
I'm being hired to manage the kitchen of a new restaurant and one of the issues(in my mind) that has come up with the restaurant design(being built from the ground up) is the access to the kitchen.  It's an 8 foot hallway that is 3'11" wide.  Coming out of the kitchen down this hallway you must turn a blind corner at the end to enter the bar area which is connected to the dining area.  That door is 4 feet wide.  I've told him this alley is too narrow and that the servers should have double doors.  Am I in the wrong?  He says it's the best he can do because to widen it would affect the bathroom area.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
As someone who has a brother and his wife both registered architects, I have to say from experience they don't belong in designing a kitchen--dining room, kitchen NO.

Whatchaneed is a cold window, a hot window and a pass for dirty dishes.  Server access is great if you can wrangle it, but I've worked in many kitchens that were located in a basement and food/dishes were transported via elevator, or with pass-thru windows.

The best piece of advice I can give you is this:

Make a scale drawing of the space you are alloted, say 1" to 1' include windows, pillars/posts, doors etc., then make scaled pieces of paper furniture (range, fryer, hood, walk-in, etc) as well as pieces of paper people (figure on 36" for a typical worker.)  Don't forget to add the swing doors on fridges, doors, etc.

Now you get yourself a beer or two and play with that and see what works best......

Joined Feb 1, 2007
Hey, FoodPump, how many people do you know that are 36 feet? You did say to scale it 1"=1'. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/surprised.gif

Joined Mar 9, 2010
You don't have to be an Architect to know there are "Code Violations" going on here

Latest posts

Top Bottom