Serve safe exam

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by theculinarykid, Nov 3, 2014.

1. theculinarykid

theculinarykid

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I will be taking my serve safe exam for the second time coming up. I failed the first attempt by three percent. Does anybody have good study habits to help? Or good website to help me study? I would appreciate it thanks! 

2. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    As an instructor for ServSafe, I will tell you that focusing on the review questions (multiple choice) at the end of each chapter is very useful. The questions are structured in a similar fashion to those on the test. Try to answer the questions in sequence and then check your answers at the end, rather than checking as you go along... it is more realistic to the actual testing situation. Good luck, study hard and keep us posted!

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Make sure you read all the questions before you even start putting in answers. Take your time and review your answers when you finish the whole test. Don't rush to be the first one finished.

4. kslim

kslim

Exp:
    Line Cook
    i also have a question regarding signing up for servsafe classes. on the site some classes are only 4 hours and some are as long as 8. ??? is there a difference, should i be concerned about how long or short some of these classes are taught in. i took my first servsafe in school btw, so i didnt have to worry about signing up for one back then. 

5. seabeecook

seabeecook

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've been taking ServSafe for over 20 years. The manager course is usually 8 hours, although you can challenge the course and take the test only. All you need is an instructor to host the exam. I once sat in the instructor's office and took the exam without study. I now take the National Registry of Food Safety Professionals exam from my county instead of ServSafe. The county offers a 3 hour refresher class for those who know the material.