Seriously lets talk about food the way it is

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by thebeloved, Nov 22, 2014.

1. thebeloved

thebeloved

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Lets get one thing clear:

1. People eat fast food because it tastes really good and they just dont care that it is killing their health.

2. Restaurant food is NOT tastier than fast food, it is just healthier and kind of interesting - so good for snobs also and other people whose minds float in the clouds rather than in the real world.

3. Healthy food is cheap and needs to be prepared at home.

Thanks for your attention.

And if you are going to say that restaurant gourmet food is tastier than mcdonalds - if you think hard enough that it is, it becomes.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    mahee ferlini likes this.
  2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    1. People eat fast food because it tastes really good and they just dont care that it is killing their health.

Really? I though people eat fast food because they want something fast and filling and cheap.

2. Restaurant food is NOT tastier than fast food, it is just healthier and kind of interesting - so good for snobs also and other people whose minds float in the clouds rather than in the real world.

Really? Take that same fast food and put in on a plate with real silverware, a wait person, tablecloth and dining room....but it still fast food..

3. Healthy food is cheap and needs to be prepared at home.

Really?  A bag of potato chips is cheaper than a bag of apples.....Many people can't afford to eat healthy because that food is expensive. It IS cheaper to eat crap.

3. chefboyog

chefboyog

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If we amuse you until the sun comes up will you turn to stone?

4. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Not very much meat, once he's skined and boned. Maybe there are more and we could make a pie. :)

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Troll

6. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Fast food is inferior food because they use inferior ingredients and preparation methods. I can agree that most fast food doesn't taste bad but if you give me a choice between even a step up to say a Ruby Tuesday cheddar burger on a pretzel roll, I'm taking that over a big mac every time.

KFC chicken doesn't taste as good as most any mom and pop diner because they use scrawny little chickens and the stuff sits under heat lamps drying out so that it can be fast.

7. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You said that and then you went on to talk about three points. Which of the three is the one that you wanted to make clear?
    I think it is more that people are used to and conditioned to fast food and the sugars that are in them. Pavlovian dogs. I used to love McDonald's and Coca-Cola.

Over time my diet has slowly shifted to one where I pay more attention to what I put into it. I can not tell you the last time I ate at a fast food place, but it has been a few years. I actually lived for a few years on some  islands where their were no chain fast food joints. I do remember the last I ate at a McDonald's though and I remember my reaction was one of stunned amazement that at one time I actually liked this so called food. This was not the way I remembered it being at all! The same reaction to Coca-Cola.

I have really gotten into global street food and it far surpasses the wildest dreams that a Big Mac ever had. Last year I got introduced to a nacatamal made by a tiny little old grandmother in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. OMG! I think it cost a buck, who cares! Conch fritters and ceviche made on the dock by the owner of a fishing boat in Caye Caulker. Can it get any fresher! Goat rotis in the BVI. Com tamt in Little Saigon. The list goes on and on. It also inspires me in my cooking at home and I have only scraped the tip of the culinary iceberg that is global street food. So many flavors. So many cuisines and cultures.
    I am sorry....I digressed...what were you saying?

8. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You are joking...right?

9. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Interesting premise. You've not supported it with anything other than your opinion. If you look at the sales, at least in the US, most of the big name fast food chains are having a poor year. McDonalds, Burger King, Wendys, all down this year.  

Taste, certainly there are people who love it and don't care about the health but as a percentage of the population, I suspect it's low based on the sales of other restauarants and grocery stores. Again, pending evidence, I think the generalization is overly broad and useless. 

As to the really good taste claim, again the evidence doesn't really support the claim. It's not the worst thing I've eaten, I'll grant that. 
    It's not necessarily healthier or interesting. Again very over generalized. There are good examples of healthier and better and fatty and salty as well in both restaurant and home cooking.  And there are times I want fat and salt. 
    Healthy food can be inexpensive, but tends to have a time commitment many can't make or don't the have skills for.  It can be and is prepared in many places. 

While you make a final point about perception is reality, it's not universally true that everyone perceives McDonalds food as tastier. The evidence of people in this thread is proof enough. 

10. chefboyog

chefboyog

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    @phatch

How do you see the sales of the fast food companies? Do you have to look at their reports or do you have an easy way?
    OG

11. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @phatch you're awesome and classy.

13. chefboyog

chefboyog

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    @phatch
    Thanks

Read the McDs link, interesting in an I hope they fail sort of way.

14. thebeloved

thebeloved

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    There is no such thing as evidence. Everything we ever think as humans is opinion so yes.

15. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    So you don't believe in science or logic? Then in my opinion you are full of it.

16. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    @phatch
    MacD

In October, U.S. comparable sales decreased 1.0% amid strong competitive activity.  To restore business momentum, the U.S. is revamping its marketing approach, simplifying the menu and creating a new organizational structure.  These initiatives are designed to better address consumer preferences and the competitive dynamics of the local markets in which we compete by bringing decision making closer to our customers.

WOW! this is innovative, I can't believe someone hadn't thought of this before./img/vbsmilies/smilies/talker.gif

17. amy123

amy123

Exp:
    At home cook
    I wasn't allowed to eat fast food until I was a teenager, and the only things I liked from there were the animal crackers (remember those?) and the ice cream. Most fast food is gross, makes me feel sick--but yeah, I'd have the occasional Burger King chicken sandwich or burger. It's not really even cost-effective anymore.

18. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You're so right, it's not cost effective anymore!  I'm shocked at how much these "burgers" cost considering what little meat is in them.

When I eat McDonalds I inevitably get a tummy ache right afterwards, especially if I have an egg mcmuffin.  Without fail.

The french fries are good when they are fresh out of the fryer, but you have to eat them fast because in less than 5 minutes they freeze into something that is not identifiable as a potato anymore.... and they stay that way for years as I have come to find out when I was cleaning out my old car lol.

I'll go out of my way for a McRib every year when they roll around again but then regret it afterwards - they also seem to be getting sweeter as the years go by.

The burger at BK is almost decent, if I have to eat a fast food burger it will be BK.  But the french fries are terrible as are the chicken nuggets.  

Wendys - Chicken nuggets are goo, I won't go near their burgers or their fries.

KFC - I try to avoid at all costs but I don't hate their hot wings.

Popeyes - good stuff, guilty pleasure

White Castle - you can't pay me enough to eat those 

At the end of the day I get a much better sandwich at the local deli and a better burger at a diner, unless I'm after a quick french fry or some fried chicken I have no reason to go to a fast food restaurant, it is always my last choice.  Does that make me a snob?  Don't know.  Does it make me live in the clouds?  Nah.  I just have better taste than that.

19. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Interesting input kk.. I agree burger king has a nice burger just because they really do have that "flame broiled" thing going on and it stands apart from other places in that flavor. The other day I was at the car wash next to a BK and it was POURING smoke and the whole place smelled like a backyard BBQ.

I have to say, at least in the past, both of my older brothers worked at Wendys and told me the meat is legit, it's never frozen, trucked in every day or other day under refrigeration. I have a lot of fond memories of Wendys.. frosty over milkshake any day!

But.. the BEST fast food burger I ever had.. you have to go way way back.. 26 years now for me. Checkers. The checker burger was well seasoned with salt and pepper, good quality beef, the veges (red onion, shredded lettuce, tomato, pickles) were fresh and crisp and more than anything.. they used real cheddar slices. Those days are long gone though .. no real cheddar on them anymore /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif  

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  20. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Interesting, I've never been to Checkers.  I have fond memories of Hardee's when my Mother would always buy me a chicken sandwich from there after my violin lessons.  Good times.  There are no Hardees where I live now.

About the Wendy's burgers, I don't like their flavor.  I think they put cumin in the spice mix.  

Now there are new fast food places and Chipotles is fantastic, good quality ingredients, fast service and wonderful food.  It's pricy though.  And there is a Korean fried chicken place called Boc Boc that has UHMazing chicken AND it's organic.  

Taco bell I can do without.