SEPTEMBER 2021 CHALLENGE - LA CUISINE FRANCAISE!

Joined Jun 7, 2021
I put forth for your judgement, my French Style Cheesecake. What makes this a French Cheesecake is the inclusion of Brie. It adds a wonderful, but nearly indescribable flavor to the custard, much like using garlic to accent a recipe, where it changes the nature, but you can't really tell it's there. This cheesecake came out silky smooth, and creamy, not eggy at all. Everyone loved the unique flavor of both the cheesecake, and sour cream-lime topping.

Filling Ingredients:
32 oz. cream cheese
8 oz. softened Brie
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups table sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 1/2 tsp. bourbon vanilla extract

Topping:
2 cups sour cream
4 tbs. sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbs. lime juice

Crust:
2 cps Graham Cracker crumbs
3 tbs. castor sugar
8 tbs. melted butter

Preheat oven to 450' F.
You know how to mix it all, in separate bowls for each part. Line the bottom of a ten inch spring-form pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Fold the foil under the pan bottom. Place the pan side in place, and bring the foil up he sides to catch any drips. Press crust evenly along the bottom, and half way up the sides. Chill in freezer for ten minutes.

Remove the crust from the freezer and fill with the custard, smoothing the top. Place into your oven and bake for ten minutes. Reduce heat to 190' F., and bake for 55 minutes. Check the cheesecake at this time by jiggling the pan gently. The center should still jiggle a but, with the sides firm, and pulled slightly away from the pan sides. If it's underdone (the whole custard is loose and jiggles), cook for another 5 minutes. Continue this process until it's perfect. Turn off oven, crack open the door, and let the cheesecake cool with the oven. When it's room temp, spread sour cream topping on tio, and remove pan sides. Now, you can either chill this, or serve at room temp. 20210930_125451.jpg 20210930_141323.jpg

Joined Jul 15, 2020
Well, it is after midnight my time..

Wow, what an amazing set of entries! And such great variety... I am having a very hard time choosing a winner. I might need a little time to consider my decision.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Well, I need time to make cassoulet, so there you go. (I will in fact post it to this thread, but it does NOT count in the competition.)

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Like chrislehrer chrislehrer and his cassoulet, I have everything I need to make a nice lobster souffle. Everything except the time and energy to get it done before the deadline.

And by the way, if I were a contender for the top spot in this month's challenge, I would have picked soups and stews as the October theme. Cassoulet would be quite acceptable.

mjb.

Last edited:
Joined Jul 15, 2020
I want to thank everyone for the wonderful entries. There was such a variety of submissions and it has been very hard to choose the winner. Each of the competitors had different strengths.

In particular, I want to commend the following for their submissions:
brianshaw brianshaw - I loved your enthusiasm for the challenge and the many facets of your submissions. I was very impressed by your use of pastry and those Caneles looked delicious.

teamfat teamfat - I loved how you pulled out the Escoffier and incorporated the classic mother sauces into your entries. That steak Oscar!

@retiredbaker - I really enjoyed your videos and your use of many classic techniques. I just wish we got some better views of the end products.

butzy butzy - Loved the homemade cider and use of the open hearth cookery. That was one beautiful chicken!

french fries french fries - I really loved your choice of ingredients and your passion for foraging seasonal mushrooms. Your flavour choices and ingredients were classic and awesome, especially the duck and mushrooms!

Cief Lonwind of the North Cief Lonwind of the North - loved the beef ribs and chasseur sauce. I enjoyed how.you took French inspiration and made it your own.

chrislehrer chrislehrer - I really enjoyed your use of seasonal ingredients. Huge points for that beautiful homemade bread. The execution and technique in both your Tian and your soup were great!

However, as I unfortunately cannot taste anyone's dishes, the visuals remain supreme and there is one photo of a dish that has been burned in my mind since it was posted...

And that is F FoodFighter 's Chicken Normandy:
img_20210904_181743-1-jpg.70826

The presentation and the execution were just perfect. The final finished product looked like it could have come out of Bocuse's Regional Cooking of France or the Roux Brothers's French Country Cooking.

Congrats, Champ!

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Congrats, F FoodFighter !

And just to show...

I seared a lamb neck, some chicken parts, and some garlic sausages, to which I added a knockwurst and a couple of smoked chicken drumsticks (not entirely traditional cassoulet ingredients, but I think an appropriate nod):
IMG_20211001_110743502.jpg
Then in the drippings I cooked some onions, and added beans, parsley, celery, carrot, and a little bay and clove. At the last minute I discovered that someone (probably my wife) had used half of my bag of white beans, so I had to sub with half pinto beans, but what the hey.
IMG_20211001_111118215.jpg
This boiled with a bunch of good, gelatinous stock for 45 minutes. I removed the veg and spices. In a cassoule (actually a Japanese do-nabe, but much the same) I put the meats, beans, and stock, making sure to put the chicken on top, skin-up.
IMG_20211001_120626802.jpg
Then it baked for 2 hours, I broke the crust, baked another 2 hours breaking in the crust every 30 minutes, and then baked a final 2+ hours undisturbed.
IMG_20211001_182115132.jpg
Yum!
IMG_20211001_182611769.jpg
Not precisely traditional, but pretty close. (I can say that because I'm not in Toulouse, Castelnaudary, or Carcassonne, where they get pretty shirty about cassoulet.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom