SEPTEMBER 2021 CHALLENGE - LA CUISINE FRANCAISE!

Joined Jul 15, 2020
So in preparation for being this month's challenge host, I did an exhaustive review of the past challenges and I was shocked to discover that a certain national cuisine had never been the focus of a monthly challenge. So having just completed the British Isles challenge and with mention of certain French idols and heroes poking their heads into that one, I thought it only fitting that we swim across the channel and do it right!

Haute cuisine, nouvelle cuisine, cuisine bourgeoise, peasant cooking, it is all on the table! Unleash you inner Escoffier, Point, Brazier, Bocuse, Troisgros, Chapel, Robuchon, Pic, or any other Gallic hero you might have, this is your chance!

French cuisine and French chefs have touched us all and I would love see everyone's personal connections to this very special cuisine. Extra points will go to those dishes with a personal connection, whether they be something inspired by a French hero, something you ate on a trip to France that has stuck with you, or a classic that you slaved to learn to cook correctly at school. Put your heart into it!

The Rules:
The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
You may post multiple entries.
All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.
The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

So without further adieu...
jacques-pepin-cooking.gif

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Bistro brunch (all store bought so not an official entry but hoping to get the creative juices flowing). Not depicted are the cornichons that somehow got pushed to the back of the refrigerator and forgotten.

D605B3E5-963E-42E1-B2DD-6672C6970605.jpeg

Joined Jul 15, 2020
Bistro brunch (all store bought so not an official entry but hoping to get the creative juices flowing). Not depicted are the cornichons that somehow got pushed to the back of the refrigerator and forgotten.

View attachment 70801
Gunna need a little more detail on that coffee...
Is it a French roast?
Made in a French Press?
:p

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
Shucks. I was thinking of doing something Jaques Pepin does, make an air dried pork tenderloin saucisson. It may have been mentioned here on Cheftalk. Anyway, it takes 5 - 6 weeks to cure. Not suitable for a 1 month challenge.

My first submission may involve eggs, butter, tarragon, chervil if I can find any fresh. And most likely a French triple cream cheese, like a St. Andre. Or maybe something like brianshaw brianshaw 's brie. I mean, who am I to dis a brie?

mjb.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Since the challenge is still in the process of gaining momentum… I’ll share something personal. No, I can’t afford to eat here. Several years ago I was peering into the window (showing my son what we could enjoy if we were rich) and Chef Robuchon was on the other side looking out. I was gobsmacked. He smiled and waved. I wish I could spoken to him but that didn’t happen… he was tending to some clients.

C7F255E7-EEFE-44E2-A5D0-946C5EE261F4.jpeg
At his less formal restaurant next door I watched a cook pressing potato through a tamis, twice, to make his famous pomme purée. That was a slow and laborious process. No wonder the prices are high. :)

Joined Jul 15, 2020
Since the challenge is still in the process of gaining momentum… I’ll share something personal. No, I can’t afford to eat here. Several years ago I was peering into the window (showing my son what we could enjoy if we were rich) and Chef Robuchon was on the other side looking out. I was gobsmacked. He smiled and waved. I wish I could spoken to him but that didn’t happen… he was tending to some clients.

View attachment 70804
At his less formal restaurant next door I watched a cook pressing potato through a tamis, twice, to make his famous pomme purée. That was a slow and laborious process. No wonder the prices are high. :)
That is so very cool!

I have never had an encounter like that, but when COVID is finally and truly over my wife and I are going to get on a plane and do a culinary pilgrimage to Lyon.

My personal top French culinary heroes are the Troisgros family and Thomas Keller (as an American interpretation of French cuisine at the least).

I find the classic Les Freres Troisgros book from the 70s with the green cover along with the Keller's original French Laundry and Bouchon cookbooks to be sources of endless inspiration (the latter two especially for exacting technique).

Here are some efforts on my part cooking through the Troisgros book so far this year to help inspire the competitors:

Lobster Navarin:
PXL_20210101_062102972.jpg

Saddle of Lamb with Fava Beans and Eggplant Stuffed with Tomatoes:
PXL_20210117_043847319.jpg

Salmon and Sorrel with Cucumbers Cooked in Cream:
PXL_20210124_042706507.jpg

Chicken in a Pot with Fresh Herbs, Rice Pilaf, and Eggplant Stuffed with Tomatoes:
PXL_20210208_045939184.jpg

Filet Mignon with Shallot Sauce (I over reduced it) and Potatoes Mere Carles:
PXL_20210214_041945378.jpg

Veal Chops with Watercress Sauce, Rice Pilaf, and Cucumbers Cooked in Cream:
PXL_20210711_025843309.jpg

"Entrecote Dix Sur Dix", Pommes Gaufrettes, and Salad of Young Spinach:
PXL_20210718_025122666.jpg

Cote de Boeuf au Fleurie et la Moelle, Pommes Gratin Forezienne:
PXL_20210516_030220115.jpg

Pork Chops with Sauce "Confuse" and Rice Pilaf:
PXL_20210808_035016599.jpg

Last edited:
Joined Dec 18, 2010
LOL... CHALLENGE OVER... YOU WIN!

I completely agree about Thos. Keller. I eat at Bouchon Bistro as often as possible (never more than once per year, however). Bouchon cookbook is awesome. After flipping though it while waiting to be seated at Bouchon Bistro, I recently bought a copy. My only complaint... it's big and hard to hold. Waaa-waaa-waaa, right? :)

Joined Jul 15, 2020
LOL... CHALLENGE OVER... YOU WIN!

I completely agree about Thos. Keller. I eat at Bouchon Bistro as often as possible (never more than once per year, however). Bouchon cookbook is awesome. After flipping though it while waiting to be seated at Bouchon Bistro, I recently bought a copy. My only complaint... it's big and hard to hold. Waaa-waaa-waaa, right? :)
That's why I grabbed a digital copy too from the Google Play store when it was on super sale one time. Makes for an easy reference on my phone or a tablet. Keyword search is also awesome!

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Tarte flambée rustique ;)
I cannot always get all ingredients so I'll just got to deal with what I have.
In this case it meant using yoghurt instead of sour creme or creme fraiche
IMG_20210904_172954.jpg But i did have onions and bacon.

I used my sourdough starter to make dough
IMG_20210904_173020.jpg

I used my uuni pizza oven (I do not have a normal oven)
IMG_20210904_174020.jpg
Rustique, because of shape and substitutes ;)

Anyway, I think the first time I had tarte flambée (or flammkuchen) at Schiphol airport.
Not the most exciting story, but it was a nice snack !

Top Bottom