send out crap, defrost, or 86 the meal?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by artameates, Mar 12, 2005.

1. artameates

artameates

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    how bad is it to tell your customers that you cannot sell them what they ask for?
    would you allow overcooked or old food to be sent out?
    and how long is too long to wait for food to defrost and prepare?

when things arent working as planned what do you do?

2. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Personally I would rather be disappointed that I couldn't get what I wanted rather than be disappointed with what I got!
    I think honesty goes further with a customer than indifference to their tastebuds and wallet.

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    It's all bad. If it happens often it means something's very wrong.

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This is true, also, the kitchen staff should be organized enough to pull or slack there food in a timely manner. You should NEVER serve questionable food. 45% of the dining public do not complain about their meal, but they never return and tell there friends and family about there experience and it snowballs.

5. rivitman

rivitman

Exp:
    Former Chef
    My policy is that anytime we sell the customer something we can't supply in good order, with standard quality, we comp them, with either a starter, dessert, or a discount.

It's very undesirable though.

6. mikeb

mikeb

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    If you can't provide a good quality item, then you have to 86 it. Better than sending out questionable food.

7. artameates

artameates

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    what are your opinions of finishing a stuffed pork tederloin or filet for salmon in the microwave? How long is too long?
    There are ways to rush defrosting and cooking. it is important to taste products that are rushed.

thoughtful answers, thanks all.

8. rivitman

rivitman

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Microwave.
    Best friend.

Worst enemy.

Pesronally, being forced by circumstance to use them, I hate them. With a passion. I thing there is no place for them in any fine kitchen, but then, mine ain't that fine.

Anytime I have to use one for more than a minute and a half, just to get something that last few degrees to safe temps, I've screwed up. And I know it.

But then again, I do more covers than my meager kitchen is really eqiupped and staffed for.

I use them to get out of a jam I shouldn't be in in the first place.

But there was a time when the **** things didn't exist. IMO, I think in many cases the profit motive has resulted in the need to push more plates through than common sense and a quality ethic dictate. So now we have the all to easily abused and resorted to microwave. And I'm as guilty as anyone else. And it bugs me.

9. devotay

devotay

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well, when you do have to 86 something, make sure your servers say "sold out" rather than "ran out." Guests will forgive if they think a dish is popular, but not a kitchen's poor planning.

That said, I have only 3 more words:

Mis

en

Place

10. chefb

chefb

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Microwave should not be used for cooking in the kitchen. It's good for quick reheat or baked potatoes on the fly. The sold-out thing is key. Customer preception is much better. Why would want to send questionable food out. If someone get sick you could be shut down. A customer leaves unhappy there goes ten people who won't come into your resturant. Always think at least a day ahead. The question I always asked myself what am I forgetting.

11. spicypickles

spicypickles

I have to deal with the pain of microwaving all the lasagne and baked penne and other things that shouldnt be there at work when theres 2 perfectly good working ovens, it makes me mad but hey its what im told to do. Our pizza is some of the best in the area for some bizzare reason.
    Off to transcribe notes,this should be fun...

12. artameates

artameates

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Its important to follow what you are told to do. The regulars come back and expect the same crappy lasagne. Even if your method has benefits, consistency builds a reputation.