selfish question: how do I make lots of money and gain power in the world?

Joined Jan 10, 2010
No joke. The way Blogging has taken off, if done right, it'll definitely put money in your pocket.

Gaining the "power" you crave is deeper, more complex thing. Sure people may know your name, but to what end can you really impose your will in this industry? "Influential" would be a better, more practical goal, as surely Bourdain, Ramsey, White, Ferran, Etc. have the most definitely achieved the status of "Influential".

And for clarification, my earlier 50-60 hour week statement was just to put a base/minimum figure out there. I agree, 80+ Hour weeks are no rare thing for a driven Chef wanting to go places... this week was a short one for me at 68.

Joined Jul 3, 2009
Symon?? From a ladies point of view......not too cute. Bobby Flay though, that's a different story.

Joined Oct 28, 2008
watch a lot of Duck Tales and take careful note of how and where Uncle Scrooge invests. A sure-fire way to riches I'm told. You'll be swimming in pools of bills in no time.

Joined Jun 29, 2004
If you have to ask, you won't make it... The few chefs who do make it THAT big are geniuses - mostly business wise. Take Alain Ducasse - plenty of people can cook like him (after all, he's never on the line), but no one can recreate a 3 Michelin star menu and atmosphere as consistently as him...

Joined Jun 29, 2004
Besides, money fame and power are overrated... It's really more trouble than it's worth. Not to mention, you can't take your wealth with you when you die.

Joined Feb 21, 2007
 ok bordain is only famous and has the TV shows because he wrote a book, he is a famous author that happens to be a Chef, read 
[h1]Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly its bordains book.[/h1]
today i worked starting at 5am-2pm no brake, i dont mind, i enjoy my job and half the time i wasnt in the kitchen i was moving tables and chairs around the hotel and helping out . like they have said befor there is noting below you, i will jump in the dish pit, or do what ever else i need to do, i am a night owl and i have been waking up at 4:30am for the last 4 months because thats what needs to be done.

now honestly....

you are going into a job that is full of a bunch of guys with passion that are over worked, under paid and all have ego's so if you dont love food.GET OUT NOW opening a restaurant in my area costs a minim of 2 million.

also T. Keller owns lots of great resturants: French Laundry, Bushon, AD HOC and Per Se,  but what people dont know is that the first place he opened he closed because it was lousing money. i lived across the street from this guy at one point he is the **** in the kitchen, but he didnt know money management 

give up now

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined Aug 21, 2009
Well put Damack.. I can't agree more with your statement that no job is beneath you.  I have ran dishpit many times and well.. while I am not a fan of it and have to be careful when I do it (food allergies) it is part of my job as AKM to make sure everything in the BOH gets done. 

Joined Feb 8, 2009
I don't think I have seen this much bull**** in one post in a long time, this guy is a dreamer..........The 70's are over, sell the VW bus, and get a job...............Chef Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
 I have ran dishpit many times and well.. while I am not a fan of it and have to be careful when I do it (food allergies) it is part of my job as AKM to make sure everything in the BOH gets done. 

Actually, after a long night in the weeds I sometimes find washing pots and pans to be kind of a zen thing.

Joined Aug 21, 2009
Actually, after a long night in the weeds I sometimes find washing pots and pans to be kind of a zen thing.
I do too.. it's nice to just focus on what you're doing and not worry about the chaos that is going on behind the line.  I'm looking forward to this weekend for that reason... normally I am either on eggs or calling board on the weekends and seeing as I work at a breakfast place eggs is the busiest station.  But this weekend I am on fruits both days and I am so looking forward to it.  Fruits can be hectic at times, but for the most part fruits just goes at their own pace and in between orders we work on fruit cups for the next day.  Compared to eggs on a busy Saturday or Sunday fruits is going to be a nice relaxing change. 

Last edited:

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
You'll never do it by following a formula. It must come from within.

Joined Feb 21, 2007
 go get a job as a dishwasher and work your way up its the only way i will respect you. right now you are just a joke

Joined Aug 21, 2009
And for me the biggest ticket to respect is that you check your ego at the door.  Come into my kitchen full of yourself like a pheasant and well... I will go out of my way to shoot you down and humble you.

Joined Feb 21, 2007
 learn these words and use them all the time

YES CHEF... THATS ALL THEY WANT TO HEAR, AND LEARN HOW TO MOVE FAST, WHEN YOU THINK YOU ARE FAST GET 5 TIMES FASTER THEN YOU MIGHT BE THERE...

Top Bottom