Seeking Return To The Restaurant World

Joined Jun 12, 2014
I left restaurants and went into the world of corporate dining following the murder of my battle brother with whom I served in Iraq with. Prior to making that change, I worked 70-80 hours a week and the ftime I had to hold my infant daughter felt like a chore.

Lately, there's been a lot of buzz and excitement in my city when it comes to food.  I'm eager to step back in and try to make a mark with and for the right opportunity. My question is for us as Chefs, how much detail do you put in explaining all your movement in a cover letter? Is it necessary? Should it be simple or should you really explain yourself? Thanks. 

Joined Jan 17, 2015
If I was hiring I would look for chefs from a restaurant/a la carte side of business so I would say it would be good for you to explain what went on with you. Only because I wouldn't want someone who expects a break every 4 hours and weekends off. Then you should say what cooking means to you etc. . Good luck!

Joined Feb 8, 2009
 First of all, sorry about what happened to your fallen brother. Second of all thank you for your service. Put in only what makes you look good. If you left a restaurant because you couldn't get along with upper management then that could be a problem. When I read a resume I want it to be short and to the point. I want to see someone who gets along with people, has a great personality and has compassion. If a person looks to be a hard ass then that hard ass approach could also be viewed as upper management having a hard time managing and getting info from this person. Look at the resume as like a first date. Only show what makes you look good and show all your good points in a brief summery. You want the person reading your resume to say. this person sounds good I want to meet them in person. Two much detail looks like blowing smoke. Keep it Short, and two the point. Don't say you will explain something at a future in person interview. If you only spent a month or two at a place that didn't work out, leave it out. If the resume is two long I feel this person is FOS. If you were involved in lowering food and labor costs then talk about that. Anyone hiring a Chef will be interested in if they can control cost......Good luck......ChefBillyB

Top Bottom