Seeking knowledge on chicken in a cambro

Discussion in 'Professional Catering' started by [email protected], May 23, 2019.

1. A@Ebd

[email protected]

Exp:
    Having difficulty keeping breaded chicken crispy and from turning to mush inside a Cambro hotbox. Suggestions and tips???? Greatly appreciated

2. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    You cannot keep them that way. The chicken will release some moisture and that moisture will be trapped inside the box and find its way back into the breading.

3. A@Ebd

[email protected]

Exp:
    Thank you

cookingincali likes this.
  4. mikemc

mikemc

Exp:
    No experience
    I cater to schools and we have this issue often. I take a torch to the breading and hit it for 10-15 seconds which seems to help. It won't make it crispy but it does renew color and some flavor.

5. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Basically, the Cambro is a sweat box....

Don’t get me wrong, I love the Cambros I use them daily. They are IDEAL for mashed pots, sauced pasta, anything moist.

O.t.o.h.,....
    They are TERRIBLE for anything breaded, deep fried, or torched.

It’s just horses for courses. You don’t take granny to the airport in a beat up F 150, and you don’t take a shiny Mazda to the lumberyard.....

6. jimmer

jimmer

Exp:
    Married To A Chef
    So what's the best way to hold breaded chicken for delivery?

7. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Depends on the type of breading and for how long. I would generally use something that is perforated and able to breathe. Probably thin too, don't want a ton of insulation making condensation on the inside.

8. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef

Best way? Send the chicken raw and refrigerated, with instructions on how to bake or shallow fry.

Second best way is fully cooked, but sent out refrigerated with instructions on how to reheat.

I’m serious here, breaded items just don’t transport or hold well while being kept warm—unless you want to equip your delivery vehicle with a heat lamp....

9. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    KFC uses a CVap cabinet to hold the chicken, then they deliver it real fast before it get soggy.