Seeking advice for my Global setup

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by fuge68m, Oct 29, 2011.

1. fuge68m

fuge68m

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hello everyone! First post here =)

I am not seeking a 'why Global sucks' or a 'praise Global' scenario in here. I, like many others, read Kitchen Confidential and took Bourdain's advice to buy a Global (the G-2 model). This was 3 years ago and I have loved it since. Enter my question:

My Global G-38 diamond steel wore out. I learned my lesson to leave it on my workspace while working (people always use it when you are not looking). The replacement rod is upwards of $100 and only available in England. I love the application of the diamond rod. I am very anal about knife care. What is the best alternative to that product? I cannot find the grit of the diamond rod anywhere. I am afraid to buy blindly something that is too rough or too fine to make a difference.

I do own a Lee Valley 1000/4000 whetstone as well. Works like a charm.

I don't feel I am a noob to this stuff - I just don't feel that the price is justified for a brand new Global diamond steel (180$ US).

So - alternatives?

2. pohaku

pohaku

Exp:
    Home Cook
  3. fuge68m

fuge68m

Exp:
    Line Cook
    thank you sir - i will read up on those 2 products

may i ask - why ceramic over diamond?

4. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Because "steeling" is to realign the edge, not sharpen?

From my experience, anything besides a very smooth steel/ceramic rod does more damage than good.

5. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Pete is right, but very concise. 

Read Steeling Away.  It will answer a lot of questions and help you choose and use a rod better.  Globals need a lot of steeling, so you won't be wasting your time.

You might also profit from reading Dulling Thoughts.  The article will help help explain the limits to steeling. 

6. fuge68m

fuge68m

Exp:
    Line Cook
    What a great blog site - presumably yours?

Awesome information guys. You have laid it out, I will read it and make an educated decision now.

It's amazing how much misguided information is out there. Glad I joined up. I shared the blog site with many of my old culinary school friends. Cheers guys!

=)

7. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    fuge,

Yes, mine.  Thanks.

Thanks some more,

BDL

8. fuge68m

fuge68m

Exp:
    Line Cook
    gentlemen, i've purchased the Idahone 12in rod recommended. once again i really appreciate the insight