Securing stuffed stuff

Joined Apr 28, 2009
Hello again,
My wife likes items that are either stuffed or rolled up and I need a new approach to securing the item from losing it's contents.

For instance; when I make Chicken cordon bleu, I double dip the item, in other words; egg, bc, egg, bc again so the item is kind of thick and using a toothpick for security isn't working because it gets lost in all that layering.

I tried tying the item, like a braciole, but that makes a mess out of the items breading when untying.

There has to be a better way than toothpicks or string... So, please, what do all you cooks use?

Thanks,
Red

Joined Dec 18, 2010
... but as a bit of an aside, can I ask about your braciole? I think of that as more of a Jersey-Italian dish so not well versed in it, but when I've made it I never breaded it. Are you filling, rolling, and then breading?

I tie and fry, then stew in "gravy".

Joined Apr 28, 2009
brianshaw,
I don't bread braciole. I used it as a reference to method only.
Just the meat, seasoning, roll it up and tie then, into the pot of sauce, just like mom and grandmother. No frying. But to each, his own.

A glue! That's fascinating but the article says that a hint of ammonia is released. Wouldn't that smell put off a diner?

Red

Joined Oct 1, 2006
Hi redvan,

For stuffed and breaded items like your Cordon Bleu, Make sure the filling is completely hidden away, by flesh, and put in freezer until set to approximately 3mm or 1/8 inch depth. Immaculately bread item with no holes or gaps. Allow at least thirty minutes (an hour or two is better) rest in fridge to allow flour, egg wash, and crumbs to set and proceed to cooking. Since this worked for our butter-filled Kiev, it should be able to hold back cheese.

Went back and reread your question, I didn't see the flour in your double breading. Do you not start with flour, then egg wash, then crumbs? Are you using straight beaten egg with no water added to make an egg wash?

You could also use a flour and corn starch mix to start.

Good luck and have fun!

Joined Apr 28, 2009
Hi redvan,

For stuffed and breaded items like your Cordon Bleu, Make sure the filling is completely hidden away, by flesh, and put in freezer until set to approximately 3mm or 1/8 inch depth. Immaculately bread item with no holes or gaps. Allow at least thirty minutes (an hour or two is better) rest in fridge to allow flour, egg wash, and crumbs to set and proceed to cooking. Since this worked for our butter-filled Kiev, it should be able to hold back cheese.

Went back and reread your question, I didn't see the flour in your double breading. Do you not start with flour, then egg wash, then crumbs? Are you using straight beaten egg with no water added to make an egg wash?

You could also use a flour and corn starch mix to start.

Good luck and have fun!
Chef,
That is awesome information that I will use next time around when I make CCB, or anything else stuffed and rolled.
As for the coating; yes, I use flour (left it out by mistake) and always a tablespoon of cold water in the eggs.

Red

PS: You got me thinking about the braciole so I inquired about the GM recipe from siblings and yes, it should be browned before being added to the sauce - I tried to do it all from memory but left out that step (don't have access to the vault).

Last edited:
Joined Jul 13, 2012
For Cordon Bleu I stuff then salt the cut and wrap tight in cling film till it sets. This has never failed me and I make Cordon Bleu with everything from breast to pounded out thighs. It's the same process as for Wellington - wrap, chill, wrap chill, etc.

Last edited:
Joined Mar 9, 2013
For Cordon Bleu I stuff then salt the cut and wrap tight in cling film till it sets. This has never failed me and I make Cordon Bleu with everything from breast to pounded out thighs. It's the same process as for Wellington - wrap, chill, wrap chill, etc.
Exactly I use breast meat, canadian bacon and swiss, then roll in cellophane..bang 30 min in fridge then bread n go

Latest posts

Top Bottom