Seaweed help: what to do with?

Joined May 26, 2001
I picked up a couple of packages of seaweed recently at a food show. The labels are all in Japanese. I've been able to figure out that one is sea lettuce (I think) and the other matsugae (definitely).

What can I do with them? :confused:

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I'm no seaweed pro and I don't know what kinds to do what with. But here's some things I've read and seen.

Soup, such as miso has seaweed.

Chiffonade over rice or salad. Maybe a decomposed sushi? or as a garnish on a seafood dish. Go light, it's strong.

Also as a green in salads.

I don't remember if kombu is a thin sheet or more bulky, but some Googling on kombu could be productive too.

Joined Mar 8, 2007
About the only thing I use seaweed for is dashi (or rolling sushi). Kombu does come in thin dried sheets. You use it along with the dried bonito flakes (always good to have around and a ton of uses if you like asian food, heck, the japanese keep it at the table and use it as a condiment on just about everything) to make the dashi.

Dashi is then used as a base for a million things, or alone as a soup.

Joined Nov 23, 2006
Just eat it the way it is!

I'm assuming that it is dry and possibly seasoned. Seaweed has natural flavor enhancers, similar to to MSG (but not anywhere near as bad-for-you) that make it tastier than it should be.

You could add it to Miso soup as previously suggested.

You might cut it up finely and add it to canned tuna. Nothing like canned tuna and Furikake.

Joined May 26, 2001
Update: I haven't done anything with the sea lettuce yet, but someone on another site put me onto a brioche loaf that has it added (chopped up). As for the matsugae (which is shredded, seasoned kombu, not sheets and so not usable for dashi): I made something like sushi rolls with it, using sushi rice and soybean paper instead of nori. Worked very well. I still have a lot left, and have decided that as OahuAmateurChef says, to just eat it! :D Well, actually, to make extra rice for dinner every so often, and have the matsugae and rice for breakfast the next day.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Phil:
:eek:
I prefer "deconstructed" myself. :D

I used to teach a reading intervention class for middle schoolers. The seventh graders read a book about the tidal zone and one section included foods we eat from this zone. Naturally, seaweed was one. Being who I am, I bought nori sheets and grocery store sushi as well as other things for them to taste. They loved the salty, savory flavor of the nori sheets! Some of them took pieces away to their next class one day and made a big deal to their friends about eating seaweed. Kids would always stop by later in the day to see if I had any samples left.

Joined May 26, 2001
I love nori -- every so often, I will buy some and just eat it as a snack. It's crunchy, lightly salty, has interesting flavor. :lips:

The 2 seaweeds (or sea vegetables, as the industry name now seems to be ;) ) are not crunchy. Both are rather soft, especially the matsugae. So it's unlikely that I would snack on it the way I like nori. But mixed with rice, it is really yummy.

Joined Jan 5, 2007
In Scotland and Ireland we eat dulse (a type of seawead) - often as an ingredient in Potato scones to eat with bacon and eggs for breakfast.

The Welsh make Laver bread from seawead.

I found this Irish site which has some seawead recipes - but I am uncertain whether all seaweeds are interchangeable, so cannot vouch for the recipes!

Seaweed Recipes.

Top Bottom