Seasoning a new wok - good times.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mike9, Jan 14, 2016.

1. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I had bought a new carbon steel wok last year and as I had the afternoon to myself I opted to season it rather than play my guitar thru my amp at 11.  I scrubbed it with super hot water and Dawn - twice then dried it on heat (It helps to have a honkin' good burner).  Let it cool then I scrubbed it again then began the process of heating it all over till it was blue, let it cool then I scrubbed it again in hot soapy water then began again.  At this point I heated it and wiped it with a paper towel with coconut oil and let the heat come up then wiped it dry and repeated.  Now it's all shiny.  

2. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Nice, but why coconut oil (low smoking point)?

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Uhm, forget the wok, can we see pictures of your whole kitchen?  

4. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yeah, lets see your kitchen. 

5. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Let's see the fume hood!

6. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Mike, how hot does the handle get? My woks were smoking hot when I used them. I was wondering how much heat travels up the handle.

7. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    @ChefBillyB   how big is your wok?  And how big is your flame? I have a 14" and a 16".  The 14" handle is shorter and it gets way hot.  16" one is fine. Course I'm cooking on one of these outside and the flame can get up to a foot high.  It easily licks up the sides to where the handle is.  I wear a welding glove on my left hand if I turn the flame all the way up

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  8. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    MK, I have had all different size Woks over the years. Some of them being a few Ft across the top for demo wok cooking. My burner woks well with the larger woks but is a bit over the top for the smaller ones. This is the burner, I also use it to boil water when were processing chickens. The portable burner with the side shelf with a ring that holds a propane canister when I'm moving the burner.

9. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Yeah I bet smaller woks are the issue. I appreciate the immediacy of propane but if I was cooking for more than a few minutes at a time I would also love to have a charcoal stove. 

Something like this:

Very well insulated like a kamado, I bet you would get crazy fuel efficiency out of it.    It can be used to grill meat on a stick too.  If only it was a thing in the US, my dream job is being a street vendor at a night market...

In other news I might start wearing a leather apron using my outdoor burner.  It gets real warm down there cooking my huevos cause the burner height is right around like 2.5 feet

10. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Leather is not a bad idea!  It's a 14" wok they handle did get hot, but that was after a long heating.  I can't think of anything I'd cook for that long in a wok.  @ordo  - Yes - virgin coconut oil has one of the highest smoke points.  Here a couple shots of my setup.

Southbend comercial range converted to LP.  I got the range and hood for $800 back in '97.  It's good to be the first caller with cash.  I don't run the salamander but a few times a year - six pilot lights on that alone - 11 in total.

The usual kitchen clutter - I made the counters and drawer fronts.  Soapstone, cherry and flame maple.  

My main rotation -

millionsknives likes this.