Searching for French Pastry Term

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by jellly, Dec 27, 2017.

1. jellly

jellly

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Phoenetically it sounds like shuh-blahn. It means to thinly coat the bottom of a cake with chocolate, so the cake doesn't stick to the plate.

I have googled various spellings and can't find it. Does anyone know the term?

2. chefpeon

chefpeon Kitchen Dork

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef 27 years
    I have a friend who is a food writer and she's fluent in French as well. I asked her your question and she is flummoxed. She even searched through a 5 page vocabulary of pastry terminology and she can't find anything that sounds like it. She wants to know where you'd heard it. A video perhaps? Or did you just hear it in passing? She thinks if she can hear the word it might help.

Also, the only word that *I* can think of off the top of my head that sounds like your word is "sabayon".

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    jellly likes this.
  3. jellly

jellly

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Thank you so much, Chefpeon, for trying to find an answer for me.
    I used to work for a French pastry chef who had previously worked for Ducasse and Payard. He was the one that used the term. I want to write it as chablon, but can't remember seeing it written previously. .
    I reached out to another chef that worked there and though she didn't know the spelling either, she added a "D" and called it shablonde.

I recently put a cake on my menu that was occasionally sticking to the cutting board when I was portioning it. I thought of this technique and it has been very helpful. I sometimes put this as a task on my production list and hate the notion of spelling it wrong. :)

4. chefpeon

chefpeon Kitchen Dork

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef 27 years
    OK, with your new info, my friend found what you're looking for. Here's what she wrote me:" Anyway, now I found it. Weird that it's not in that patissier dictionary, maybe it's not in common use. The verb infinitive is chablonner (pronounced sha-blon-eh). It means according to the French Wikipedia definition to coat a cake with chocolate in order to reinforce it. It doesn't say anything about keeping it from sticking to a plate. So I guess you could call the coating itself chablon, I'm not sure about that but it would follow the rules of French generally speaking."

drirene and jellly like this.
  5. jellly

jellly

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    You mean I accidentally spelled it right? Fantastic!

Thank you so much and have a wonderful new year!

drirene likes this.
  6. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Sometime ago, I knew and used the word chablon to mean a stencil. Like in this video.