seafood sausage help

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by capecodchef, Mar 21, 2017.

1. capecodchef

capecodchef

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    There was a local chef who once owned a fish market and clam shack who's claim to fame was once selling over 10,000 pounds of his seafood sausage on QVC. I'd like to add a version to my summer menu, nicking some of his version and others found on the web. I'm thinking small diced shrimp, local sea scallops, and Maine lobster with a mousse of some l8cal fish as a binder. Although addiions need to be delicate and kept to a minimum so as to not overpower the seafood, I see some lemon, minced shallot, garlic and capers, black pepper and slivers of fresh basil. How does that sound? It's important that they freeze well as i hope to make them in sizable batches. I'm also thinking hog casings. Anyone with a proven recipe or tips they care to share?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    IMO seafood sausages are a more upscale item and the presentation should reflect that.

The one time I helped do this we packed natural casings and after steaming the look was no where near hitting the mark.

We were able to save the day by carefully peeling them (casings) away but given a second chance I would use the collagen sort.

Again just my thoughts.

mimi

3. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've done this before several times, most recently as an upmarket take on a lobster roll (seafood mousseline with chunks of lobster on a mini parker house roll, that sort of thing). 

A recipe can be found almost anywhere...I find that scallops work well as a base, but any lean white fish should work (sole, etc). 

My main advice would be to pass the mousse through a tamis before you fold in your garnish. So make your mousse in your robot, then pass through a tamis to get any little odd bits out and make the mousse super smooth. Then fold in your flavorings...lemon zest, herbs, etc. I like fine herbs myself but basil would probably work too, depending on final application. 

Make sure your stuff is COLD before you blend. Egg whites and fish first, then add cream slowly. Helps to do a quenelle test for seasoning before you case as well. 

Casing in hog should be fine...just remember how delicate it is and when you sear to warm up/crisp be GENTLE. 

Good luck. 

4. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Great answer Someday. I do the exact same method. I use cod as my filler for my lobster sausages. I use hog casings too.

5. capecodchef

capecodchef

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Thanks for the great responses, keep them coming. I was thinking Cod or Haddock as my filler so I'm happy to have that validated. Chef Ross, if it works with lobster, I can't see why a mixture of scallop, lobster and shrimp wouldn't work as well. What herbs or seasonings do you use?