Seafood Broth

Joined Jan 12, 2015
Had a company dinner at the Ritz Carlton in Florida. The catering staff was amazing of course. One of the courses was a halibut on top of fennel in a seafood broth. The chef describe the broth but he called it something else. He defined it has a broth but the name was different. I have been searching for the name for a couple of days but I cannot recall it. Any suggestions?

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Fumet?

mimi

edit... Pete you slid into home while I was searching thru the Ritz menus!

m.

Last edited:

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001

Pete is probably correct again.
LOL!!!!  Could you tell that to my wife?  According to her, I'm never right!!!

If it was a fish stock, then fumet would be the correct, classical term, but Nage would be a good guess too, as Cerise stated.  It became a really popular term in the mid 1990's to describe just about any light broth, whether vegetable (of any kind), fish, shellfish, chicken, beef or game, used to sauce a dish with.

Last edited:
Joined Dec 18, 2010
Scott Conant serves (served?)? a dish like that at his Las Vagas restaurant. He calls it "crazy water"... In Italian, of course.

Last edited:

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001

Halibut a la nage?  Pete my wife thinks I right as I agree with her.
You would think that after 16 years of marriage I would get that concept, but sometimes I'm too stubborn for my own good!!

Joined Jun 23, 2015
Pete,

I don't know how long it took me to learn but I do know life was easier after I did.  Two words make a happy marriage, yes dear.  38 years together and loving it. 

Latest posts

Top Bottom