Sea scallops

Joined Jul 15, 2001
Need help sauteing the large scallops. I want the lovely crust on each end, but never seem to get it, Is that something which they just produce for the photos? What I've done so far is make sure the scallops are really dry. I roll them in paper towels for an hour or two in the refrig. Then I make sure the canola oil is VERY hot, almost smoking. Somehow this just doesn't cut it. The scallops taste good, but they're more steamed than sauted. I know that it's better to undercook rather than overcook scallops, but I just don't get that golden crust.

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: garlicginger ]

Joined Jan 5, 2001
One word: tripolyphosphates. It's hard to find scallops that don't have them. Frozen scallops almost always have them and many fresh ones have them too. When buying scallops, make sure they aren't ghostly white. That's the telltale sign they've been treated.

Last weekend I bought some jumbo scallops. I scoured the city to find some untreated ones, sadly to no avail. I ended up buying some nice fresh ones: though treated, they still retained their pinky appearance. I marinated them in a bit of oil with coriander stems, lime zest, black pepper and ginger. I dried them and seared them in a hot pan. They crusted nicely, retained their moisture and size. So, if you don't live by the sea, look for scallops as I just described; you'll be fine with those!

Joined Aug 14, 2000
Crowding the pan can inhibit browning. I finally learned that it was better to do them in two batches than to put too many in the pan at once.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
It is true that the vast majority of bay and sea scallops sold to the general cunsumer are treated. However,get to know your local Fish monger and always ask for "dry" scallops.These are not treated.Here in new England from CT to Maine we have wonderful scallops.If you buy from a supermarket you can pretty much say you will get treated scallops.Try melting a little butter in a saute pan then add a touch of conola oil to stabilize the butter..No need to have the pan smoking.Dregde the top and botton of the scallop in a little seasoned and sifted flour,pat off the excess and saute...no need to shake the pan ,let let them brown for a minute or so then turn and finish cooking.

This should do the trick, But be sure to find "Dry" scallops.I am sure where you are in sacromento Cali,you can find them.
good luck
cc

Joined Aug 25, 2001
If you cannot find "dry" scallops, and i doubt you will in CA - scallops are very perishable withouta stabilizer, here's a trick.

Dry the scallops very well on linen towellling, then place them ona new, dry towel and let sit for at least an hour. This gives the chemically stabilized juices a chance to dry so the scallops can be carmelized ina hot saute pan.

If they are going to be finished in any kind of a sauce -- a reduced pan juice and lemon for example -- a LIGHT coating of Wondra flour on the flat surfaces only will help get that "browned" look and help thicken the pan sauce.

Latest posts

Top Bottom