Sea Salt Melting into Ganache

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by louisianagal, Feb 15, 2017.

1. louisianagal

louisianagal

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    Hi everyone! I make a chocolate cake that is topped with a ganache (chocolate, cream and a smidge of butter) and some coarse sea salt. Depending on the temperature (or, perhaps, the humidity), the salt sometimes dissolves straight into the ganache. Any tips on how to keep this from occurring? The salt I am using is Alessi brand all natural sea salt. 

Thanks in advance!

LG

2. chefpeon

chefpeon Kitchen Dork

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef 27 years
    All you can really do is manage the temperature and humidity, since you can't do anything about the nature of sea salt. Only sprinkle the salt on top after the ganache is set and very very cool or cold, and don't store the cake in humid and or cold places for very long. Another thing you might try is buying a coarser grind of salt so it's more visible and won't dissolve as fast. For instance, Himalayan Pink salt is very coarse and rather attractive. You might try that.

3. louisianagal

louisianagal

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    Thank you, Chef Peon. I do have some Himalayan pink salt that is much coarser and would probably pretty up my cake. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif