Scottish Pancakes ?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by toyman, Feb 28, 2003.

1. toyman

toyman

Maybe someone can help me with this.
    I am catering a High Tea and the customer is requesting "Scottish Pancakes"
    I have no idea what they are unless they are the traditional oatcake.( I dont even think they know what they are]
    Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful

2. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    I probably have a recipe or two for these pancakes at home. I will look them up this evening and post them tonight or tomorrow.

Jock

3. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Hi Toy,

Are you sure they aren't referring to Oatcakes? These are a mixture of medium fine oats, bacon fat, water and salt.

I'll PM you the recipe if you'd like.

4. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    They are actually akin to our breakfast pancakes but a little more firm. You typically eat them at room temp and spread with butter, jam, honey or whatever you like.
    On Sundays after lunch my mother would make a batch of these. We would eat them as fast as they came off the griddle. Good times :)
    Aneke, the oatcakes you refer to (sometimes called Bannocks) are completely different. They are exactly as you describe with the oatmeal, etc. but they turn out thin and slightly cripsy. They are great topped with cheese and a dolop of chutney.

Jock

5. toyman

toyman

Thanks for the info.
    I was completely lost on this one.
    I have a recipe for bannocks but a pancake recipe would be helpful.
    Maybe good with some mango chutney?
    Thanks again

6. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    OK, I have 2 recipes that are similar. One uses twice the sugar and eggs than the other for the same amount of flour. Also, being old recipes they call baking soda and cream of tartar as the levening agents. An equal amount of double acting baking powder would do just as well I think. They also call for using a lump of beef suet or lard to grease the griddle! Butter or vegetable oil spray will do if you don't want to go traditional.
    (There is another recipe that uses less flour and adds syrup as well as sugar.)
    Incidentally, I had forgotten until I looked it up that these are sometimes called drop scones.

Ingredients:
    8 oz (scant 2 cups) APF
    1 tsp cream of tartar
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    (Or 1 1/2 tsp baking powder)
    1 oz (about 2 Tbs) sugar
    1 egg
    Whole milk

(egg and sugar can be doubled)

Method:
    Mix the dry ingredients. Add beaten eggs and enough milk to make a thick but pourable batter.
    Drop by tablespoons on to a hot, greased griddle.
    As with regular pancakes, cook till golden brown and bubbles form on the top. Flip them over and cook on the other side.
    Cool the cooked pancakes on a towel to prevent sweating.
    Serve with butter and jam.

Bon Appetit

Jock

Mango chutney and Jack cheese on an oatcake. Mmmm, food for the gods :)

7. toyman

toyman

Thanks Jock
    We will try the recipe and give your mother full credit of course!