Scones with Cream Cheese cubes in them !

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by sweetdreams, Oct 16, 2002.

1. sweetdreams

sweetdreams

I recently moved to a new home and as a welcome gift a local bakery sent over some scones which had small cream cheese cubes in them.........i loved those scones a lot, i tried finding them on the net , but i have not come across them.
    i would like to know if anyone knows how to make these scones.......

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Yum. That sounds tasty. I'm guessing that you can do this with any scone recipe. I'd freeze the cream cheese before and after cubing it, so that the pieces hold their shape. I"d roll out a piece of dough, then sprinkle the cubes on top, fold it over and roll the dough a bit more (you may need a brush of water to hold the 2 halves together). If you're doing rounds, as opposed to wedges, save some cream cheese for the leftover dough after the first cut.

3. isa

isa

Sweet Milk Scones

2 cups all purpose flour
    1 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1-2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    3/4 cup milk

Adjust the oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450°F.

Whisk flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and sugar (if using) together in large bowl, or measure into the workbowl of a food processor fitted with steel blade; pulse until blended. With fingertips, pastry blender, 2 knives, or steel blade of a food processor, cut or process butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse meal with a few slightly larger butter lumps.

If making by hand, make a well in the centre and pour in milk. Working quickly, blend ingredients together with a rubber spatula into a soft, slightly wet dough. If using food processor, pour milk though feed tube; pulse until dough just starts to gather into a rough ball (do not over process or scones will be though). Turn dough onto a well floured work surface.

Quickly roll dough to thickness of 1/2 inch. Use a lightly grease and well flour 3-inch biscuit cutter to stamp dough with one decisive punch, cutting close together to generate as few scraps as possible. Dip cutter into flour as often as necessary to keep dough from sticking. Push scraps of dough together so that edges join; firmly pinch edges with fingertips to make a partial seal. Pat this remaining dough to 1/2-inch thick; continue to cut rounds. Place dough rounds 1 1/2 inches apart on a greased sheet. Bake until the scones are lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes.

P.S. Add some Australian candied ginger to the scones, it’s heavenly.

4. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

She knows what she's talking about.