scones from german bakery

Joined Sep 11, 2005
I have made several scones with advices from you guys here. Yet, I cannot seem to replicate the apricot scones I get from a local german bakery. Theirs has a scent and flavor of dairy for sure.  I am not sure if it is heavy cream but reminds of condensed milk.  The scones is light texture in the middle but not biscuit like or dry.  I know scones are simple ingredients... AP flour, salt, baking soda, cold butter, and dairy and some sugar. Some recipes even has eggs some not.  What will make a scone soft yet not cake either?

Joined Jan 5, 2007
My Mum's scones were always made with slightly soured milk - I replicate by adding a few drops of lemon juice to the milk!  The secret to light scones is to barely knead the dough after it comes together.

Joined Mar 20, 2010
Buttermilk scones like sour milk scones have a wonderful light textur, add the eggs too

Joined Sep 11, 2005
I was told that the german bakery scones are made with dry milk.  So, does dry milk give a lighter texture?  could I use regular milk or better to use buttermilk.  Also, this cupcake shop made their scones using cornmeal, but I did not like it since it was too grainy for a blueberry scone.

Joined Jan 5, 2007
Dry milk?  Do you mean that powdered stuff?  AFAIK, that used skimmed milk - which takes the most of the fats out of the stuff - so no, I wouldn't recommend it.

It makes me smile to see the words German and scone in the same sentence!

Latest posts

Top Bottom