sawzall blade for bones

Joined Apr 25, 2014
Anyone use one for pigs?  Obv not as good as a meat bandsaw, but sometimes in a pinch I've seen it done on the tv.

I asked the girl at home depot which blade type to use on bones and she ran away

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Back when I was in the operating room we used an oscillating saw for bones. I think a sawzall will get gunked-up. Yes gunked-up is a medical term.

Joined Apr 25, 2014
That's why I think the right type of saw teeth will help. They vary from giant ones for wood, to tiny for metal and everywhere in between.

I got mine for home repair stuff, but I'm always happy with multitaskers. Just curious if anyone has already tried. Of course id sterilize.the whole thing / have separate blades. Wouldnt want metal filings in my pork after all!

Joined Jul 28, 2001
butcherbladesm.jpg

Butcher band saw blades are designed
for bone in and frozen meat block cutting
applications providing fast, clean,
accurate cuts and producing higher yields

Joined Dec 18, 2010
That's why I think the right type of saw teeth will help. They vary from giant ones for wood, to tiny for metal and everywhere in between.

I got mine for home repair stuff, but I'm always happy with multitaskers. Just curious if anyone has already tried. Of course id sterilize.the whole thing / have separate blades. Wouldnt want metal filings in my pork after all!
I worry more about bone fragments that metal filing.

I use a hacksaw.  For splitting spines... an axe and rubber mallet.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Regular bi-metal blades work fine and I didn't see any paint on my bone ends.  You have to wipe cuts down regardless  They do make bone blades for sawzalls btw.  We used mine on a deer last winter and it worked fine.  Get a blade longer than you think you'll need and buy several.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom