Savory paste to use for cooking, making a sauce or dressing, etcetera

Joined May 3, 2015
What housemade savory or sweet paste do you use to cook when making a composed dish every time or occasionally?
I discovered at my workplace that 2 cooks use a ginger and garlic paste to use for their Indian cooking. They use every day when they cook their Indian dishes.
Then for my salad bar, I use another type of thick paste which is Castelveltrano olives and black olives with garlic paste for my Red wine vinaigrette to be used with roasted cauliflower and broccoli. A few weeks ago, I made a Vegan Green Thai curry paste for my rice pilaf too.
At home, during the holidays, I make culinary gifts every year with the use of other paste like Homemade Pistachio paste( they can be very expensive, so I discovered last year making it my own). I made with fresh raw and shelled pistachios, sugar, a little bit of oil, and added Pistachio liquor(my own touch). Gianduja for bonbons or truffles.

Joined Sep 26, 2017
The only paste I make consistently is the Singapore fried noodles paste, because I couldn't find it in any store.

All other pastes I buy.

Joined May 3, 2015
The only paste I make consistently is the Singapore fried noodles paste, because I couldn't find it in any store.

All other pastes I buy.
Yummy! That's great. I know some places don't sell a specific paste. So it is best to make it housemade and it taste better.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I make my own sambal and cook with it all the time.
I do make my own bumbu's (Indonesian/Malay spice pastes) as well, but they are made for the specific dishes, so they are not used on a daily basis

Joined Aug 15, 2003
XO sauce
curry pastes of all sorts (I do make my own sometimes as well)
confit garlic puree/paste
dried chili paste (take dried chilis, toast, seed, and reconsitute in water. Then puree to desired consistency. My go to for REAL chili, some soups, BBQ sauce, mole, etc)
nut pastes (peanut butter, cashew). Savory or sweet...good in stir fry, etc
Miso, red or blonde

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Well garlic paste is easy enough to make in the smallest quantities just by scraping a clove with the edge of a fork, I make one or two clove pastes on the spot all the time. Garlic/pesto mayo, glaze for broiled lamb or fish, etc, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom