Savory Oatmeal

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by someday, Sep 21, 2005.

1. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Anyone ever experimented with savory oats? Is it possible to do like a mushroom oatmeal, or an herb and veggie oatmeal?

Would you prepare it like a pilaf? Any ideas?

~Someday

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    I don't see why not savory oatmeal -- after all, look at polenta and grits. But I would not try to make it the same way as pilaf, but rather to use the absorption method, like rice (using just the amount of water it will absorb, rather than boiling it loose in lots of water), and then mix in the sauteed mushrooms or other vegs. In addition, I'd use less water (or better yet, stock) than when making it for a breakfast cereal, add the oat to the salted water only after the water has boiled, and cook it longer so that it dries. In other words, I'd do it the way my husband makes oatmeal -- which comes out dry rather than gluey, and more chewy than usual.

Oh, and of course I'd use real oats -- either the long cooking rolled oats, or better yet the Irish or Scottish style. Most definitely NOT instant! :eek:

3. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hmmm, I think I'll try it. What do you think about mounting with butter or adding cream for flavor?

~Someday

4. redace1960

redace1960

haggis. oatmeal doesn't get much more savory than that.

5. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    :lips: :lips: :lips: :D

And I recently had canned (!) haggis. I loved it! You could always cook it in a pudding basin instead of a sheep's stomach (unless that's your thing . . . :crazy: )